AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggs turning WHITE

Default Re:Eggs turning WHITE

hi

1. i got a electronic conductivity & tds meter 2day, it reads range approx. 1990 - 10ppm. did i got the proper 1???

2. my gH = 12ppm (do i need 2 reduce it)????

3. can i use water from 'Water Ionizer' or 'UV' system???

[quote author=Carol_Roberts link=board=6;threadid=16210;start=0#msg167637 date=1076052340]
    If your water is too hard you will havae to mix mineral free (RO or distilled) water with it so the eggs can hatch.
    [/quote]

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

. i got a electronic conductivity & tds meter 2day, it reads range approx. 1990 - 10ppm. did i got the proper 1???tds meters read everything disolved in your tank

2. my gH = 12ppm (do i need 2 reduce it)???? Yes, your water is like mine - too hard for eggs to hatch. You will need to mix RO water for the breeding tank only during the time you expect (and want) them to breed.

3. can i use water from 'Water Ionizer' or 'UV' system??? I don't know what a water ionizer is. UV does not remove minerals. You can buy the Tap Water Filter by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. The resins are quickly exhausted, but it may work for you for one spawn. Otherwise RO is the cheapest way to go - check with RandalB

Thnx alot Carol.

Well, i was playing with my pH & gH testing kit n discovered that my direct tap water reads pH = 8.5 & gH = 05 ppm.

When i added 1 drop of anti-chlorine to 4 gallon of water, gH was 25ppm ???

What i thought was i will aerate the water for 10-12 hrs. By Doing this i dont hafta add ne anti-chlorine. Hence, my gH will stay somewhere between 5-6ppm. what u think????

how much max. gH & pH is ok for spawning?

Got the answer for gH from one of ur post

"You should get good hatches between GH 3 and 6 or 50 - 100 ppm" - Carol Roberts

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...threadid=16147

After aeration for 18hrs I did a large water chng yesterday nite n cleaned my sponge filter, now my gH reads 7ppm & pH = 7.8

My Babies gonna lay eggs 2nite or 2morrow nite. Hope i can bring down my 5ppm...

I just reread your post and wonder if we are measuring two different ways. I'm talking about drops of reagent (from the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit) when I say keep your GH between 3 and 6.

For tds you want 50 - 100. IF lower the water will be so devoid of minerals the pH may crash .

If the water is as soft as the numbers above the pH should not matter for domestics

Opps that was my reading fault my TDS is around 70ppm i believe hardness shldnt b the problem this time then!

thnx alot Carol & hexed, i'll keep u guys updating!

yesterday nite (8:45pm) update

now my gH reads 70ppm & pH reads 7.6

hope they hatch this time

If they don't hatch you can't blame the water, your numbers are good.

Wiseone,
    Keep us updated I really hope they hatch. Carol is the BOMB! She's so nice and full of information and she's here sharing it for free. Now if I can only get her to come over my house and explain everything to my male discus maybe he'll start doing what he needs to do LOL! ;D

Update:
    After 40hrs

Total eggs 300-350

30-50 eggs turn white in color (kinda hairy aound the eggs), dont know wat it is, may be fungus. Few are transparent and rest turned dark orange/brown.

I c some strange behavious with my pair this time they r not eating the white (fungus) eggs i dont know y??? ne comments (Carol)????

Hope they hatch this time!

thnx guys

White is dead, hairy is fungus, golden brown after 40 hours is unfertilized :-\

Update:
    After 48hrs

Total Eggs 250-300
    Few eggs on the floor.
    Total eggs hatched = 10 eggs

I saw very cute tiny fry with very tiny vibrating tail it was so cute... Rest of the eggs were full of fungus n turned white.

After sometime Male started hitting female (dont knw the reason y) n started fighting. Then i left them alone n went 2 bed. In the morning when i came back :'( there were no eggs nor babies :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Male n female r still fighting. What can be the reason ???

i hafta wait for next 7-10 days again hoping next time they will get it right n this time i will pull the male out, few hrs b4 the eggs hatch. wt u think carol?? shld i do that??? or pull the female?????

thnx a lot carol, this time i m felling lil better coz the eggs actually hatched.

Congratulations! you have a confirmed pair.

Let them practise a few more times. IF you pull one parent next time and loose the spawn it may take weeks for them to pair back up. IF they are still eating them in a few weeks then think of pulling the female.

thnx alot Carol without ur & 'Hexed' help i might hav never reached till here. thnx alot once again guys! i will update u guys when they lay eggs again in next 7-10days till then enjy

SimplyDiscus Rulzzzzzzzzzz

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast