ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Carol's beefheart - will not disolve in tank!

Default Re: Carol's beefheart - will not disolve in tank!

Carol always that the best ideas. Last time I heard, she was cross breeding dogs. Most dog people thing that crossing purebreds is disgraceful. I'm not that snooty. I think it's great if you know what you're doing. I know Carol does.

I know that this thread is ancient. I stumbled upon it and it got me to missing her presence here.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Carol is such a sweetheart and a beginners best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol_Roberts View Post
    I purchase sliced beefheart from the grocery store and trim fat, veins and membranes. I cut the beefheart into 1/2 inch chunks and freeze.
    Who ever decided to feed fish beef heart, did they see a picture of a dead cow in the amazon and thought hey now there's a good idea. Dee

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

High protein, low fat mate. Simple as that

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Dee1958 View Post
    Who ever decided to feed fish beef heart, did they see a picture of a dead cow in the amazon and thought hey now there's a good idea. Dee
    No LOL. The early discus pioneers determined that beef heart was a high protein and cheap fish food. Still true today.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    No LOL. The early discus pioneers determined that beef heart was a high protein and cheap fish food. Still true today.
    Pat
    The thing I don’t get and I have heard other people say this is that people can spend a small fortune on their tanks, filters, heaters, and their fish, I've seen discus go for hundreds of dollars and they cheap out on their food and generally they have problems. Dee

Real Name
    Pat

The thing I don’t get and I have heard other people say this is that people can spend a small fortune on their tanks, filters, heaters, and their fish, I've seen discus go for hundreds of dollars and they cheap out on their food and generally they have problems. Dee
    Just because beef heart is relative cheap does not mean it is a bad food. Most folks mix the BF with all kinds of other meats, veggies, vitamins etc to make a complete food. Have you looked up any of the BF recipes here on the forum. Take a gander thru some of these...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...hlight=recipes

Real Name
    Brian

When I make BH, I make it 10+ lbs at a time. Add up the rest of the ingredients and it costs well over $100. While it's a very healthy food and my discus love it, I don't consider that cheaping out...

Just because beef heart is relative cheap does not mean it is a bad food. Most folks mix the BF with all kinds of other meats, veggies, vitamins etc to make a complete food. Have you looked up any of the BF recipes here on the forum. Take a gander thru some of these...

I can tell you many years ago I read the ingredients on my fish food and much like people food there aren't many good foods available, people get fooled into believing that if they purchase food from the grocery store that it is good, just as with fish food, so after reading the fish food label and seeing what was in it I did extensive research on foods and what's good and if I can find my book I will post my findings, but I can tell you I will never put raw beef in my fish tank. Dee

I wouldn't put it in your tank either... It really does require bare bottom to use it.
    That said it is a well established excellent fish food. And by making it yourself or say buying from a reputable breeder... you know exactly what is in it.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    I wouldn't put it in your tank either... It really does require bare bottom to use it.
    That said it is a well established excellent fish food. And by making it yourself or say buying from a reputable breeder... you know exactly what is in it.
    You are correct! I only feed this in BB tanks!

Real Name
    Pat

I can tell you many years ago I read the ingredients on my fish food and much like people food there aren't many good foods available, people get fooled into believing that if they purchase food from the grocery store that it is good, just as with fish food, so after reading the fish food label and seeing what was in it I did extensive research on foods and what's good and if I can find my book I will post my findings, but I can tell you I will never put raw beef in my fish tank. Dee
    So what are you feeding your juvies Dee? What do you consider "good" enough?
    Pat

So what are you feeding your juvies Dee? What do you consider "good" enough?
    Pat
    Ok Pat I found my book and I would like to say that my very first post at this forum was for help with discus juveniles, check out the responses I got, so then I checked out the grow out challenge and if I followed any body it would be you, I have been in the fish hobby for many years you can check me out on planetcatfish, so in getting back to the food I read ingredients one day and thought my goodness what fish ever has the opportunity to eat that in nature, so that's when the research began and here is what I feed

Live blackworm once a week
    Freeze dried blackworm
    Freeze dried bloodworm
    Freeze dried brine shrimp
    Freeze dried daphnia
    Freeze dried beefheart
    Freeze dried rotifer
    Freeze dried tubifex
    When feeding freeze dried foods I heat a small container of water to boiling in the microwave and because most of the freeze dried food I use is cube form I use a small grater and grate the cubes into the hot water I allow the water to cool and the food should have sunk and then you can dump it in the tank.

Now for commercial foods I use new life spectrum flake
    Omega one super kelp pellets
    New life spectrum growth
    Nori seaweed

I feed flakes in the morning
    One freeze dried a day
    And omega one kelp or seaweed a day

I'm not claiming to be an expert as I've been called, but some makers use fillers like cereal so what's that fruit loops for color I just try to think nature. Dee

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    When I make BH, I make it 10+ lbs at a time. Add up the rest of the ingredients and it costs well over $100. While it's a very healthy food and my discus love it, I don't consider that cheaping out...
    I'm not trying to offend any one here but I can tell you I have done my research on food and I think people get fooled by a what a few say you should do with out doing any homework of their own, I may feed my piranha raw beef or my sharks but certainly not my discus they deserve better
    Dee

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    If bare bottom is all you can do have at it I can see that for the big time breeders they all go bare bottom because of their water systems but unless you're a breeder as a business and not begging people to buy your fish so you can go on vacation why bother the discus is to majestic, it deserves better

Dee

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast