AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Carol's beefheart - will not disolve in tank!

Default Re: Carol's beefheart - will not disolve in tank!

Quote Originally Posted by Jhhnn View Post
    After attempting to shred the frozen beefheart cubes with a food processor, which doesn't work worth a damn, I tried to obtain a salad shooter locally w/o any luck. Broke down and ordered one off the net, which works beautifully for the purpose...

With some of the beefheart, I was quick enough refreezing it that it stayed in individual curlicues, making it really easy to feed... I'll use that up first, since it's obviously more susceptible to freezer burn.

I've been feeding it as a daily meal for a couple of weeks- the fish go for it enthusiastically, and it isn't messy at all. I think the pieces would be too large for smaller fish, but it's obviously great for 3-1/2" fish and larger...

Beefheart, blood worms, mysis, brine shrimp, Eddie's seafood mix, and occasional freeze dried tubifex... maybe I should add some poultry to their diet...

Thanks, Carol!
    I used to use it and would consider doing it again as the fish get larger. I remember my fish LOVED it.

Take care Jhhnn
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Bonehead that I am, at times, I figured out how to actually get beefheart. My first batch, I asked the guy putting out meat at my King Soopers (Krogers) if they had beefheart. He said yeh, he had some, that it was special ordered, but he could sell me some of it...

Later on, when the supply was running low, I wondered what "special order" meant and how to get more, so I called the store, asked for the meat dept. "Special order" means they'll get me all I want on a day's notice. Call before 1:30 PM, and it'll be there the next day after 9:00 AM...

Duh! Too easy. I'll ask about turkey heart when I pick up the beefheart tomorrow...

I did say I wanted to put some poultry in their diet, right?

Registered Member

I just bought salad shooter online for $20 shipped n i cant wait to try it haha

Quote Originally Posted by H82LOS3 View Post
    I just bought salad shooter online for $20 shipped n i cant wait to try it haha
    Its worth a try, my fish readily accepted Carol's style beefheart strips but I ended up putting them into a mix anyways. Its an excellent way to beef up your fish. If your fish are young, the strips can sometimes be too large for them to fit in their mouth.

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by CARY_GLdiscus View Post
    ;D
    great idea

Registered Member

Has anyone tried using a salad shooter to cut up pre-mixed food? I'm thinking something like Al's, Eddie's, or Hans' mixtures frozen in regular ice cube trays and "shot" in small batches as needed.

Thanks,
    Phil
    I'm not sure what Im looking at, but its huge and I think its going to be cool!

Aquatic Gardeners Association
    www.aquatic-gardeners.org

Quote Originally Posted by ChloroPhil View Post
    Has anyone tried using a salad shooter to cut up pre-mixed food? I'm thinking something like Al's, Eddie's, or Hans' mixtures frozen in regular ice cube trays and "shot" in small batches as needed.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Might as well feed the fish the cube. Is there a reason why you want to process it through a salad shooter?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

I was thinking it would be less messy to feed a mix of food in bite sized bits rather than a chunk that the fish would end up picking at and leaving pieces of all over.

Thanks,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by ChloroPhil View Post
    I was thinking it would be less messy to feed a mix of food in bite sized bits rather than a chunk that the fish would end up picking at and leaving pieces of all over.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Well if it is a processed mix (meaning ground or through a food processor), they will take bites out of it and actually get more of the food than if you have a bunch of small pieces flying all around the tank. Now with Carol's method, the beefheart is whole and the salad shooter cuts bits that will not foul the water. Does that make sense....sometimes I can confuse myself. LOL

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Yeah, it does make sense.

Thanks,
    Phil

I do the BH with the Salad Shooter, it's gone in 30 seconds anyhow, nothing is left to foul the water. The SS is real easy to use and comes in handy for other things also.

Putting another household device into use for the tanks, I use my
    H20 Steamer Pot that came with my steam floor mop to sanitize filters and intake tubes and a whole lot more! It's probably not as effective as Bleach but I doubt anything would live through that hot steam for long. It doesn't melt the plastics either, also de-oderizes. It's great for cleaning the Micron Filter from the HOT Magnum also, instead of soaking it in bleach, I soak it in real hot water and then steam the heck out of it. Yeh, I know there are living organizms in hot lava but for everyday clean up it does the trick.
    Last edited by joanr; 12-07-2009 at 11:50 PM.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Thanks Carol! That's some good thinking there. I think I may be trying that also.

Registered Member

Carol - thank you for your informative posts. i am new to discus and your posts have helped me out a lot.

Real Name
    Gerald Mann

Quote Originally Posted by CARY_GLdiscus View Post
    ;D
    There are quite a few available on Ebay, or check your local postings for craigslist or kijiji. I found one listed on Kijiji here in Calgary.

too bad i dont have a salad shooter, but i have a sausage/mince maker, so i had to mince the beef heart, before my fish will only eat frozen blood worms but i starved them 2 days and today i gave them beef heart and they went for it like crazy, whether i have a salad shooter or not i have a happy ending

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast