ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Carol's beefheart - will not disolve in tank!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Carol's beefheart - will not disolve in tank!

I think it would grind the pieces too fine. Some of the frozen slab is frozen blood and gurry which just disolves anyway. I only feed one meal per day that is not flakes or pellets. I love my Eheim feeders for dry food. They automatically feed 4 meals per day

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

thanks Carol

jim

Registered Member

Wish I could get my discus to eat flakes and pellets :'(

Guess I have to add a salad shooter to my looooong list

Registered Member

Carol I thought I read a post that said you quit feeding BH in favor of CBW's and tetrabits alone. Have you given up on CBW's or are you just adding BH back to the menu. ;D

Registered Member

We already have a Salad Shooter, so this post encouraged us to go buy beef heart for the first time. Each butcher we called could only get it in 60 lb lots, so we had a hard time finding a butcher that would be willing to sell any less than that. We finally found a butcher who was able to order as few as two hearts; he had them in the next business day at $2 a lb. The total for the two came to $18.99. Was this a good price?

If you have never seen a beef heart, it’s not the prettiest sight. The two hearts came cut in half, and laid flat against each other. Once they were thawed, we were able to cut them up into smaller bits. The hardest (and grossest) part of this process is removing all of the fat, veins and membranes. >>Does anybody have any suggestions for this?<< It seems almost impossible to get all of the veins and membranes out. Right now, the trimmed chunks are in the freezer, soon to go into the salad shooter.

If anybody has suggestions on preparing the second heart, shout back!

Registered Member

Carol,

Your plain beef heart is a real hit with our discus. There is quite a bit of fat and other stuff to remove before you actually get to the real beef heart, my husband hacked away at that. We are using the old type Grandma metal grinder(actually came from Grandma). It grinds it almost to hamburger consistency. I turn off the AQ500 for about 15 min during feeding time. The juve's eat it right up, just like the CBW. Within 15 minutes of turning it back on after feeding the water is crystal clear. Then pull and rinse the sponge, all is well.

It is p
    Thank you for the great advice,

Fshngal

The salad shooter works better than the old fashioned meat grinder (I have both). There are hardly any fine pieces with the salad shooter.

I got tired of having to sit in the office during my lunch hour to receive the black worms. Airborne Express comes anytime between 12:00 and 2:30. If the office is closed for lunch I can't trust them to leave the worms with a nearby open office. I'm too busy to have any babies for awhile (my youngest fish are 11 months old) so this is easiest for me right now.

There is lots of waste with the heart. I don't try to save every scrap. I just cut out the all the fat and veiny part and chunk up the larger edges of the hearts. Two hearts make a lot of fish food even if you throw half of it away.

Registered Member

I gave up on beefheart a while ago because it really makes the water stink, but I like Carol's idea of using a salad shooter, and may try it once again.

Also, use VEAL heart instead of beefheart. A veal heart is about the size of your fist. It's not so fatty and full of tough veins and membrane. It is ALOT easier to work with. I can special order it from my butcher at the supermarket. Last year, the price was 99c/lb. I am sure that the meat department of any high quality supermarket can special order it for you.
    Brigitte

I got a salad shooter at walmart, it was 50$ or so, but last time i was there they did'nt sell them anymore

I use a cheese grater. A little hard work but works.

Registered Member

I went through 2 salad shooters in a year before I found out there was a "professional" model that could take large chucks of frozen heart without breaking the gear.
    It is the best way to feed beefheart by far.

I trim and cube as Carol then chop very coarse in a food processor, mix in pureed garlic and freeze flat in ziplock bags. After frozen I run it through the shooter and store frozen"worms'' in Gallon size ziplock.
    BTW you can pick up Salad Shooters on eBay..... 8)

Registered Member

I would like a Salad Shooter but your voltage is 110 or 240 over there?

What are the Salad Shooters normal used for?

And as for the Pro Salad Shooters did you say you drop the cubes in frozen or not

Cheers Wayne

Salad shooters are used to grate carrots, etc. I put in 1/2 inch frozen chunks

Registered Member

well, i picked up half a beefheart today, a store here carries them in packaging, it was about 1.60 for it. i didnt think the trimming was to bad or hard. i cut it too cubes, and now its in the freezer. im liking this idea....

Registered Member

Carol, someone had mentioned that they have the same model of the shooter as you and that he broke two of them as the motor was not strong enough. He purchased the prof. model. How is your unit working out? Is it strong enough?

Also, are these bits small enough for juvies?

I have bought pork heart. Was pretty lean and I didn't find too many veins. Will try beef next time and see which one is better to work with.

Thanks.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast