ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The ease of cleaning bare bottom tanks

Default Re: The ease of cleaning bare bottom tanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Ok, thank you. That's good to hear. If up to 40 ppm is still acceptable to discus then I'm not concerned at all. I thought I remember reading somewhere here that you should shoot for 0ppm nitrates or it will affect the coloration and growth of your fish. I suppose that is kinda impossible to achieve.
    Planted tanks will have higher nitrate levels 20-40ppm if adding fertilizers. BB/non-planted tanks are generally 5-20 ppm. The more frequent and higher volume your water changes, the lower your levels.
    Last edited by David Rose; 07-30-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLover65 View Post
    nitrates under 10 ppm is fine. Nitrates are part of the cycle process of food and fish waste. Mine usually remain at 5ppm. Waterchanges help keep the nitrates low. I don;t think you have a problem. also I also have a fine layer of gravel. just do thorough gravel vacs daily
    How do you manage cleaning the fine sand? wouldn't you suck it out with the poo?

Quote Originally Posted by danny2013 View Post
    How do you manage cleaning the fine sand? wouldn't you suck it out with the poo?
    I would believe all the debris will be on the top of the layer of sand, all you need to do is gently siphon up/skim the top of the sand
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusKev View Post
    I would believe all the debris will be on the top of the layer of sand, all you need to do is gently siphon up/skim the top of the sand

+1 That's what I do in my two tanks with sand. I hover about 1/4".

I use gravel not sand, but love the way sand looks better than gravel. Because it is more difficult I don't use it

Quote Originally Posted by danny2013 View Post
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

wow Carol, that is putting ur mind to use. I usually see breeders use separate tanks, but i guess the barrels are cheaper huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
    wow Carol, that is putting ur mind to use. I usually see breeders use separate tanks, but i guess the barrels are cheaper huh?
    An old thread....Carol is no longer an active member on SD that I'm aware of.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carol_Roberts View Post
    Here is a close up of the faucet adapter. You unscrew the one on the faucet and remove it along with the mesh strainer.

I like the metal adapters they last longer than plastic.
    The hose attaches to the sink and the barrels are refilled for tomorrow. Each barrel has a heater that just lays in the bottom of the tank. I've never had a problem as the water absorbs the heat so the plastic does not melt. The water is agitated for three hours and heated overnight for use the next day

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carol_Roberts View Post
    Here is a close up of the faucet adapter. You unscrew the one on the faucet and remove it along with the mesh strainer.

I like the metal adapters they last longer than plastic.
    The hose attaches to the sink and the barrels are refilled for tomorrow. Each barrel has a heater that just lays in the bottom of the tank. I've never had a problem as the water absorbs the heat so the plastic does not melt. The water is agitated for three hours and heated overnight for use the next day.

Registered Member

nice set up but what a waist of water u could set it up for your garden out side than down the drain,
    ive got a 4ft grow out and i change 33% of the water every 2 days and with a large canister cutting down nitrate's to almost 10 ther's no need for huge w/c's
    the key to growing out fast is lots of aeration, low watermovement so they dont burn calories, high temp so there metabilism is quicker, and lots of feeding with low nitrate levels, invest in a big canister with seachem matrix and a long spray bar for less movement it will save you the time,water and money

Registered Member

+1 one of the ease of cleaning. I just setup my first BB tank and I don't think I will ever use substrate again. it's just so dang easy and fast to clean. I love it and I can still do some creative things to add decor.

Registered Member TwitchyDiscus's Avatar

I was thinking of bare bottom but my discus seem to be doing fine in gravel !

Registered Member

Great information, thanks!

Real Name
    Bud Smith

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan27 View Post
    +1 one of the ease of cleaning. I just setup my first BB tank and I don't think I will ever use substrate again. it's just so dang easy and fast to clean. I love it and I can still do some creative things to add decor.
    +1 - my thoughts exactly
    Bud

i've never seen a tank in the bathroom...looks pretty sick!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast