ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus still not well

Registered Member

Default Discus still not well

I wrote a few days ago about my new jeuvenile discus who was dark, had clamped fins, and was hiding in the back of the tank. I raised the temp, added salt, have been doing 30% wc each day...I also added some formalin. After the formalin he looked a little better... his color wasn't as dark, and he swam around more. He is also very terratorial...he chases the other fish away from his spot (so I guess he still has some energy). But he hasn't eaten in 7 days (since I got him). The other 3 discus I bought the same day are doing great.
    How long can he go without eating before he dies? I was considering trying Paragon II with metronidazole. Any more suggestions? Thanks!

Registered Member

Default Re:Discus still not well

What type of food or foods are you trying to feed.
    Do you see any white feces from this fish.
    Does his stomach look blotted.
    What size or age is the fish.

I have had large discus with bad case of hex go for 4 weeks without any food , lost a little wait but was still strong. he has since recovered .

Paragon 11 will affect your biofilter.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

If three fish are doing fine and one isn't then I would guess internal rather than external problem. Hard to guess what the exact problems is. Best not to treat the whole tank ifi all others are helaty. You can try doing a course of metro on that one fish in a hospital tank . . . read how to use metro in "common discus treatments"

alex_m

Hi,

imo if you do not see fungus you should treat with metro and heat.

IMO you should not use Paragon.

If you raise the heat and the eyes come out then you know you have bacterial infection inside and outside the fish.

alex

Registered Member

Hammerhead,
    I have tried three kinds of food...frozen brine shrimp, frozen beefheart (ciclid chow), and omega one flakes. The other 3 fish eat all of the above. I have yet to see the one in question eat anything. Needless to say, I also haven't seen him poop. The feces I've seen from the other fish look normal. In answer to how big he is, he's about silver dollar size. It's funny, he'll act like he's going for the food, but he'll never actually eat. He also chases the other fish away from the food while they are eating.
    Yesterday I decided to add the ParagonII. I can't tell if it's made a difference yet. He seems to have energy, but is not eating yet. I don't have a hospital tank so I am treating them all.
    I also noticed he seems to have an abnormal gill on one side. He breathes thru both, but they are not symmetrical. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Thanks.