ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

Default BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

This is my first post. I have only had the guts to venture into discus in the last three weeks. Six of them. I have run aquariums, 100, 75, 55, 40 & 20, for the past three years.

After cleaning the tanks about every three weeks with a python, there was always a residual of bio in the rock.
    So I thought maybe that was enough to keep things stable. I never use UGFs. So over a period of time, I began to experiment by making the filters squeeky clean, no bio. The results were crystal clear water, and the ability to go for longer periods between water changes.

I know this goes against all that is written, but over the last two and half years I have never lost a fish, no diseases, no ammonia, & no PH swings. The only occasional fish lost are those whose time has come.

I've never told anyone until now. Thought someone might come along a lock me up. I feel protected on the internet. ;D

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

I'm not sure I understand your post . . .
    You are rinsing your filters frequently and doing less water changes?

That's right Carol. I use to do W/C changes every 10 days, now it is about once a month. It may not work with discus. What do you think?

I like the part about keeping the filters clean - I do that too ;D

In addition I've found the best way to keep discus healthy is a bare bottom tank ( also cleaned frequently) and daily water changes of 30 - 50% especially for juveniles.

Registered Member

Highfive,

Revisit this topic after 1 year and let us know how you are making out raising discus.

Registered Member

I second that, 12 water changes per year, boy that sounds easy, but what kind of accomplishment is that?

Gang, I read you loud and clear. During the last three years I've had every kind of fish but DISCUS. It certainly might not work with them. Right now I'm into 12 days without a W/C and testing for the bad elements. Crystal clear so far. It is my 100 gallon tank with 2 six inch and 4 2 1/2 discus along with 2 Chinese Salfins.

If I fail, I'll need a loan!

There is one little wrinkle I should have mentioned. Last year I had an injury which made it difficult to care for
    my tanks. I went to one a day feeding. It worked so well that I continued with it. It hasn't affected the fish at all. Normal growth and health.

I'm doing the same with the discus, but I'm thinking I should go to two times a day. What do you think?

Registered Member

If you want the discus to achieve their full potential, you should feed as often as possible. I feed my discus 6 times a day. But when you increase the number of feedings, you should increase your water changes. HTH

-Ryan

[quote author=highfive link=board=5;threadid=16670;start=0#msg172661 date=1077576861]
    Crystal clear so far. It is my 100 gallon tank with 2 six inch and 4 2 1/2 discus along with 2 Chinese Salfins...[/quote]

I have other tanks, but am just about to make the plunge into discus, hopefully this weekend. Your tank LOOKS crystal clear, which is good. How about nitrates? It should be very close to 0ppm.
    This is not the only thing that you have to worry about. Big water changes dilute the load of bacteria and viruses that are in your tank, which can harm the discus (discus experts, please correct me if you disagree!).

I don't know about you, but I'd rather learn from the mistakes of others, by not repeating them. With large, frequent water changes you should have a MUCH better chance of having healthy fish, and growing them out to a large size.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Thanks for the reminder, Delmore. Just check the nitrite,
    0 ppm.

Highfive

[quote author=highfive link=board=5;threadid=16670;start=0#msg173008 date=1077671543]
    Thanks for the reminder, Delmore. Just check the nitrite,0 ppm.
    Highfive
    [/quote]
    nitrAte

Registered Member

Water changes are essential to a fishes health; any age, any size, any type. For one, fish like freshwater... think of it the same way as you like fresh air.

Next, as delmore has already mentioned, nitrAtes ( NO3, not nitrIte which is NO2) do not evaporate, which hence they build up in the water... getting higher and higher. High nitrAtes, while not lethal, severly weaken immune systems.

Lack of water changes also leads to other problems. When water evaporates, gH (calcium & magnesium) do not evaporate with it. They remain in the water; if all you do is top off the water, than your water hardness continually raises. This is not good for any fish, as unstable water conditions cause poor health.

Not doing water changes also means your pH will slowly and steadily raise. Carbonate, which effects kH, which in turn effects pH also does not evaporate. So, your kH will continue to raise, again, not good for fish health.

Finally, fish, young ones especially, secrete growth-inhibiting hormones which can only be removed by water changes. If they are not removed, fish become stunted. They very rarely reach normal adult size, they have weak immune systems, and their body porportions are incorrect.

So, by not doing water changes you are directly harming your fish one way or another; visible or not. I do twice a week 40% water changes for my juvenile discus in a planted 38g, which is considered pretty laxed on this board. My other tanks which have agressive CA cichlids and cichlids from Lake Tanganyika recieve onces a week 30% water changes.

HTH

I do twice weekly 25% water changes on my African tank. They breed and grow like weeds

Thank you HTH for your input. In fact, I have printed it for future reference. I have already changed my ways with my first discus. More water changes as prescribed by all in the forum, and more food.

I'm not sure why, but I have been luckey enough to never have experience any of the pitfalls with my extended water changes. I have some photos I'd like to show you, but some how or another I'm having difficulty posting them. They would show the representative health in all of my aquariums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast