ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LFS rescue wont eat, Help please

Real Name
    Tony

Default LFS rescue wont eat, Help please

Well about two weeks ago I went to the LFS and they had 5 Heckles ( heckles are my weakness) anyway they didn't look that great but I had one in the past that was a real trooper so I thought to myself I can nurse them back to health. They weren't cheap so I only got to get 2 of them so I picked one that was the roundest and 1 that looked the most healthiest, so I get them home put them in a Q-tank (I have learned my lessons) and the 1 that looked the healthiest ate within 5 min of droping them in the tank, but the other one ( the prettiest color and roundest) was not eating, well I've tried everything from CBWs to Metro the temp has been at 92 since day 1 and he/she still wont eat what else should I do?????? please help thanks

P.S. they are in a 55 gal with 2 hydro sponges and a tetratec filter with no carbon and 75% daily wc's and 1 250 watt ebo. thank

Registered Member

Default Re:LFS rescue wont eat, Help please

how long has been since you treat them with metro? how many capsules did you use ?

Real Name
    Tony

I used 10 caps( each cap is 250) used that for 3 days and just salt and heat since.

Registered Member

why don't you send pm to wildthing ? he has a lot of expierience with wilds i am sure he will be a big help to you!

Real Name
    Tony

O sorry I used metro the first 3 days I had them.

Real Name
    Tony

I'll try, thanks

Registered Member

Tony you said you used 10 cups for 3 days for 55 gal tank, right ? i have been successful with 500mg per 10 gal for 4 -5 days it will take same time for the fish to recover when did you stop the treatment? and how big are they?

Registered Member

so you stoped the treatment about a week and a half ego? in some cases it takes longer for the fish how about the color still darker and how about the other fish the color is fine?

Real Name
    Tony

Since I put them both in my tanks their colors are great, one eats too much but the other just swins along side and watches the other eat, they haven't been dark since I got them.

A few more questions and sugestions. Is the one not eating getting thin, and has it had any white feces? Did you treat at all for flukes? Have you tried live brine shrimp? It stays suspended in the water longer than CBW's.

Real Name
    Tony

Wel as far as being thin they were already a little thin but the on the is eating is getting thicker as we speak but the other as far as I can tell hasn't gotten any thinner he has not eaten so no feces as of yet, at least that I have seen. haven't tried live brine, the LFS only gets them in once a week(Tues.) but I will try it this week. thanks to you guys and gals.

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Tony: Here is the metro formula I use. 500 mg every 8 hours at 90+ heat for 3 days. Lay off for a couple of days and if required re-dose.

jim

Registered Member

hello tony !! IMO if the fish won't take CBW there is no chance that will eat LBS, as for the flukes i don't think it is your concern here since i assumed you don't have wild juv but the adults and as far as i know from Frank they are like fleas on the dog and as you know the dog won't die from it , and still eats , no? so i don't think if that was the case here the fish wouldn't eat anything i believe you are dealing with something else here if with anything ....after the treatment with metro 10 cups per 3 day dosing 55 gall sounds alright i was successful with 500mg per 10 every day however , Tony keep it in mind there is no discus alike just like people some recover sooner then the others so give it sonme time ....some of mine was fine right away and for some it took longer . I wouldn't separate the "sick fish" from the "healty one" as if yet you just completed the metro treatment on both about a week and a half ego, right? just wait a while the recovery takes some time ....good luck let me know what happened.

Registered Member

sorry i had used 500mg per 10 gall for 4-5 days forgot to mentioned for how long but here it is! ;D

I would suggest the same as the others here...& what you are already doing....but sometimes they just don;t make it.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast