ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very Rare Wild Cobalt

Default Re:Very Rare Wild Cobalt

There's a large Wild Brown that I got from Mike Heppner. He's on top. He's the size of a Compact Disc. There is also a Curipera that Mike gave me but this Curipera is mixed with a family of Wild Peruvian Green (aka Wild Peruvian Blue). They apparently change colors depending upon their moods and stress level. I don't necessary believe it's because of water conditions. But hey life always transforms and transfix our minds alike. Enjoy. --Angie--

Hey David, go easy when asking you about these two Degen books I've got. ;D I don't understand why the writers would write something that is found to be false by aquarists all around. I'm thinking as a new aquarist that I have a rare caught and I'm sure that I'm not alone. Heckels were found before JW's discovery of Solid Turquoise. But nonetheless there were Blue Discus in the rivers.

Then that means all who has Blue discus of any combination are a Jack Wattley (Solid Turquoise) or Bing Seto (Cobalt) discus, correct? (like the Wild Cobalts, Blue Diamonds, Violet Reflections, Blueberrrys, Wild Peruvian Blues and whatever else one calls their "blue" colored discus). Or the "Heckel Twist", as I see it? Heckels too have a strong similar feature to some of the WPGs (or WPBs) I have now.

**Angie**

P.S. This is much like the argument of the Curipera, Wild Brown and Wild Red subject.

I got the books also...a great big pile of them....I keep tripping over the damned things

;D ;D
    The JW release was in Suriname...not directly connected with the Amazon ....so I very much doubt that it had any lasting effect....many used to argue that the bright domestic colors , in the wild, would be lke the fish wearing an " eat me" neon sign & they wouldn't survive very long in water with any predators, and the bright turquoise/blue/coerulean colors acheived by selective tank breeding were from genes that should easily be re-absorbed into the wild population as recessives , even the PB color gene which seems to be a mutation. (Maybe Martin can input about that?)
    Also...the very pretty " blue" peruvians and the other snakeskin types demonstrate nicely how anythng created in a hatchery can equally be created in the river...it is only a matter of probability factors...

Nice collection Angie Love the crowd ;D very nice discus too
    How many in your tank and what size of the tank ?

Regards,
    Ronny

Hi Ronny: Thanks!

All the details are on the first page of this subject. But since you asked ;D : 75-g - countless discus at this time. ;D They having fun most times. I watch the Wilds go flat on the floor swimming back and forth for a while and the Clown Loaches and Panda Corys goes along with them. ;D It's a sight to see.

Hope all is well with you. --Angie--

[quote author=wildthing link=board=22;threadid=17251;start=30#msg179848 date=1080170163]
    I got the books also...a great big pile of them....I keep tripping over the damned things

;D ;D
    The JW release was in Suriname...not directly connected with the Amazon ....so I very much doubt that it had any lasting effect....many used to argue that the bright domestic colors , in the wild, would be lke the fish wearing an " eat me" neon sign & they wouldn't survive very long in water with any predators, and the bright turquoise/blue/coerulean colors acheived by selective tank breeding were from genes that should easily be re-absorbed into the wild population as recessives , even the PB color gene which seems to be a mutation. (Maybe Martin can input about that?)
    Also...the very pretty " blue" peruvians and the other snakeskin types demonstrate nicely how anythng created in a hatchery can equally be created in the river...it is only a matter of probability factors...
    [/quote]

Hi David:

I'm sorry, I don't take offense when someone corrects me and/or states their opinion. I just read that post of yours. LOL --Angie--

fyi...I finally dug out the book...Degen...Discus catalogue/atlas
    p105 , described as a wild cross & p29 described as a wild brown are obviously the idential photo cropped & with different descriptions....very very sloppy work IMO & to re-crop the same photo like that is IMO deliberatley deceitful & shows why these books cannot be trusted. They were not published for the sake of impartial academe...they were intended to make $$s

Angie....ultimately it is only opinions ....& you know what they say about those, especially in New York
    ;D
    I get feisty sometimes on the forums so thankyou for your good grace...without the clues from body language misunderstandings are too easy on the internet.

DW

[quote author=Martin_HONGKONG link=board=22;threadid=17251;start=15#msg179706 date=1080133000]
    David,

It was Diskus Brief, volume 1, 1994 Issue IV page 6-7.

In brief, 24 pcs of 4 cm Coerulea Turquoise were taken to an enclosed stream at Paramaribo in Suriname with a surface area approximately 100m x 60m. Mr Wattley, did not say rather if these group of discus were established in that area.

Mr Wattley also mentioned that a Dutchman had introduced the Cardinal tetra into swamp areas of Suriname with positive results.

Martin [/quote]

Hi Martin and David:

Do either of you fellows have an extra / spare copy of that Diskus Brief magazine (with the article re: JW's cobalt creation) that you can send me? Or, can you send me a copy of that article (maybe you can fax it to me)?

David, I am beginning to "trip" over those two Degen books (as well).

Thanks. **Angie**

Hi Angie,

as it seams you get into the digital art. But the books are for coffeetable in my opinion. The author is contradict himself at every second page. This cannot be helpfull to the reader. This forum is much better as thoose books.

Tomsky

Thanks Tomsky, but the reason why I'd like to get a copy is to cross reference and further analyze it. What I see is that there are such a thing called Wild Cobalts and some people are saying that they do reside in waters of Brazil and stretch out as far as Perú and Ecuador. [There is a great chance many discus mating and having frys with amazing colors (or strains)].

When I did a search for DiskusBrief, they posted on their website as "no longer available." It is impossible to order back issues.

**Angie**

Real Name
    Walter

When I did a search for DiskusBrief, they posted on their website as "no longer available." It is impossible to order back issues.

What type of search did you do?

Check here: (it looks like back issues are available)

http://www.diskusdesign.net/

Curt's contact info is on the website, you can check with him on availability.

I'm curious where you are finding references to "Wild Colbalt" discus.

Funny, now I can't find the post! It was there a few days ago. I saw it on a posting. There was a posting which was current as of 2003 (December) that said "back issues no longer available."

I've noticed one thing, also. That you cannot direct link into the subscriptions (from their website); only "posters" had a direct link for ordering.

As much as folks state that these Degen books are "coffeetable magazines," I feel a bit different about it all. Degen made a book which included a few contributing scripts from JW himself. Although the pictures do (very much do) look similar and were given various titles, it's hard to discern the truth here.

Degen also included other names like Axelrod, Heckel (who indiscriminately chose to label the blue-faced Heckel) and a few more ICH scientists (however, as I've yet to find his name in any of Degen's books, I noticed so far JW is not mentioned and BS, too). These guys were involved way before JW and BS began their studies.

Only inquiring.

**Angie**

Registered Member

I spent time with Degan in Asia, He's an ***, knows nothing about discus and publishes those books just to make money. He even introduces his self as a "Famous" publisher. ;D

Registered Member

[quote author=fishfarm link=board=22;threadid=17251;start=30#msg180929 date=1080573160]
    I spent time with Degan in Asia, He's an ***, knows nothing about discus and publishes those books just to make money. He even introduces his self as a "Famous" publisher. ;D
    [/quote]

LMAO :spank:

Oh, No! You guys are rough here.

Hi All,

Once again, I don't want to sound like a broken record here.

Let's look at the traits (personality) of Wilds. I thought I read a post somewhere in this subject where Wilds do things that domestic/tank-raised discus don't.

For example, Wilds will sweep the tank floor on its sides. This is their way of feeling happy and playing. Domestics (or tank-raised) discus do not exhibit this action.

Has anyone ever seen this before in their tank (or tanks)?

**Angie** 8)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast