AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Should I???

Registered Member

Default Should I???

I have an opportunity to get some juvenile discus of a particular variety from a local breeder. However, I would only want to get 2 or 3 of these at the most. Since I am starting out, I was also planning on getting not less than 6 discus from one of the breeders that advertises here.

My question is, should I get these 2 or 3 fish or not. My concerns are that I probably should quarantine them separately from the others I plan to get at around the same time, but I also know that it's not a good idea to keep such a small number of discus for any period of time (presumably this would include a 4-6 week quarantine period).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Registered Member

Default Re:Should I???

well after about 2 months of quarantining,the fishes i believe willbe okay in the same tank

Quarantine both discus groups in seperate tanks for rougly 4-6 weeks, then if they look safe, no disease or sickness, then you can put them together. The 2-3 discus from the local breeder will do fine for about 4-6 weeks, just make sure you get discus around the same size. Try to get 3 instead of 2, it will help the pecking order. How big are the discus from the local breeder?

Registered Member

in my opinion i believe that 2 discus is to less. i myself is a beginner at discus and 2 weeks ago i bought 2 juv. discus for the first time at 1 1/2 inches. i have one that bully the other and don't let it eat. i guess 2 discus will show aggression. this is just my opinion.

cn

Registered Member

The smart thing to do would be get 8-9 discus from the local breeder instead of 6 shipped and 2-3 local. If you are just starting out, keep it simple and you will succeed. Don't invite problems on your first venture.

just get the 3 for now. it will be ok cuz i did the same thing, I had to buy like one every 2 weeks because im a poor college student and my six fish are all fine now.

Registered Member

valorg i agree with you about being a poor student..cus i am too...but wat do you mean by buying one each week? isn't it risky to intro. your new fish to the group.without quarantining? do you find the same age or size discus? i'm still learning...and like to get some info...thx

cn

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I agree with Mat. Buy 6 or more from ONE source. In a few months buy 6 or more from a different source. Getting new discus is like Christmas. Trust me, you aren't going to buy discus only one time this year

Registered Member

I kind of thought I shouldn't get those as tempting as they might be - thanks for the confirmation. I'll just have to patient, which is not always easy as we all know...

well i didnt quarantine my fish because since dey were my first batch, i didnt have an established set yet. If i noticed any diseases i would just treat the whole tank. now that i have an established one, i quarantine the new fish.