AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquascaping Critique

Registered Member

Default Re: Aquascaping Critique

My pre-discus tank. Just planted currently with two angels and 20 cardinal tetras until its cycled. Let me know your thoughts before I add the big guys!

Registered Member

Ok this is my aquascae if anyone can critique and tell me what I can do to make it look better. I know I am missing some plants by the driftwood and I had some anarchis but I didnt like the look of it because it would clump up and get tangled alot. I currently have some cambomba planted behind the driftwood but now I need to wait for it to grow

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chanders View Post

My pre-discus tank. Just planted currently with two angels and 20 cardinal tetras until its cycled. Let me know your thoughts before I add the big guys!
    The tank is beautiful, but now I have to ask a couple of questions... just to give you some things to think about. =)

1) Are you planning to leave the angels and tetras in the tank when you add discus? If so, you will need to follow strict QT procedures before introducing the discus.

2) What size discus are you planning to purchase? I'm asking because it's difficult to successfully grow out juvenile discus in a planted tank, especially one that's...hmmm, that looks like about 90 gallons? If you want to grow them out, you could purchase a 55 gallon tank and start growing them out now.

And my only other comment is on the cycling process. It's always better to do a fishless cycle on the tank. That way you aren't subjecting fish to all that ammonia and nitrite as it's cycling. In addition to that, 2 angels and a small group of tetra's won't provide enough bio load to cycle that tank for a group of discus, so you're going to face a mini-cycle when you do add them.

Welcome to the forums too! Sorry, totally forgot to say hi before I started typing all of that... just been that kind of day I guess. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Registered Member

First planted tank ever, pre-discus.
    90 gallon, running a sump system with ten pounds of miracle mud, uv sterilizer, two bulb t5 ho with zoo med flora and ultra sun bulbs, co2 system being installed Monday, plants planted yesterday.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379258364.208462.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379258374.440549.jpg

Thanks for looking.
    -Crow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

That bad no one wants to chime in? :/

doesnt look bad at all, what is that plant on the second pic? ludwigia cuba emersed form?

The fish look happy!

Real Name
    Carmelita

Love the tank .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post

This is a 40 Gallon tank stocked with a pair of Turqs, some cardinals, and a few otos. It's completely low tech, just root tabs and excel.
    I really love this! What is the plant on the left front corner? And is the Crypt on the right front a Wendtii? Also would really like to know what plant the red one in the back right area? Is it Alternanthera reineckii?

My old 75 gallon tank with green Tefe and jurupari earth eater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

Quote Originally Posted by flutterbug View Post
    I really love this! What is the plant on the left front corner? And is the Crypt on the right front a Wendtii? Also would really like to know what plant the red one in the back right area? Is it Alternanthera reineckii?
    The one in the left front is dwarf saggitaria. The others you've correctly identified.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
    The one in the left front is dwarf saggitaria. The others you've correctly identified.
    Thank you so much! I have some Dwarf Sag, I like your placement of it. I can't believe how good your Alternanthera reineckii is doing in Low Tech. I have a couple stems that have managed to survive in my tank, but they are full of algae. What are you running for lights if you don't mind me asking. Also do you use root tabs and which ones if you do? Sorry for all the questions!

Registered Member

Wow im lovingthe contrast of the tetras and the discus , great job!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

Thank you so much! I have some Dwarf Sag, I like your placement of it. I can't believe how good your Alternanthera reineckii is doing in Low Tech. I have a couple stems that have managed to survive in my tank, but they are full of algae. What are you running for lights if you don't mind me asking. Also do you use root tabs and which ones if you do? Sorry for all the questions!
    The alternanthera actually didn't do very well at all. I only ever got good growth at the very top of the stems; that's why it's hiding in the back. Lol. For lighting I have T5HO fixtures that add up to 126 watts. The tank is 37 gallons, so that gives me about 3.5 watts/gallon. I run them on a timer for 12 hours. I use flourish root tabs.

Looks good. How many fish are you adding?

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    That bad no one wants to chime in? :/

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast