AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquascaping Critique

Default Re: Aquascaping Critique

Hey Dan...Who are you expecting to critique this tank if ya dont mind me asking since it's one of the better planted tanks on the forum.

Looks like a job for you my friend!!

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bastalker View Post
    Hey Dan...Who are you expecting to critique this tank if ya dont mind me asking since it's one of the better planted tanks on the forum.

Looks like a job for you my friend!!

tc
    Mark
    Thank you Mark.
    I'm only giving other options to those that might want to go into a planted tank craze.

I am schooled in the fine arts. So this is just something to consider when planning a planted tank. Select plants for the background, middle ground and the fore ground. Tank should be divided by 1/3 - 2/3.

JHMO
    daniel

Now this is just my opinion.
    Respectfully,
    John
    www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com

Yeah Dan....you put us to shame! lol....actually I have to say you inspired me and I am looking to do a similar aquascape with my new 90 that is one the way I L-O-V-E the layers and the "beach sort of look in your tank. I am looking at something slightly different for the plant terrace areas in my tank since all the rocks I have tried from my area seem to raise my hardness and I my water is hard enough as it is.

I have even gone so far as to plan a scale drawing of what/where everything will go. Very excited. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Tori

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by happygirl65 View Post
    Yeah Dan....you put us to shame! lol....actually I have to say you inspired me and I am looking to do a similar aquascape with my new 90 that is one the way I L-O-V-E the layers and the "beach sort of look in your tank. I am looking at something slightly different for the plant terrace areas in my tank since all the rocks I have tried from my area seem to raise my hardness and I my water is hard enough as it is.

I have even gone so far as to plan a scale drawing of what/where everything will go. Very excited. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Tori
    Hi Tori,
    Firstly, thank you.
    As far as hardscape for your tank, have you tried your local rock supply place for landscaper. Ask for a small sample of the rocks you intend to use. Place it in a bucket and add water. Test the water for Ph and hardness before adding the rock then test again the following day. Don't use rocks that can easily crumbles.

Good idea drawing the layout. Look at the Amano tanks for ideas.
    Respectfully,
    John
    www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com

Well here is what I came up with. This is a 90 gallon tank. 2x 65 w 10,000k bulbs I am thinking of doubling this amt of light after adding CO2 injection next week.

The terrace is acrylic. I designed and had it cut for me on my brother in law's laser engraver I glued the layers together to form a 3" tall wall. I used eco complete under the PFS in the terrace areas.

So far I really like having the front "beach area" for feeding as the food does not seem to get lost and each group of fish seems to take turns cruising the area for food.

I would like any critique you all may have. How is the placement? I do like the various swords but have only kept the large ones in the back so I am not sure how large the others will get in this tank.

This tank was just set up and I have not gotten the CO2 hooked up yet (Monday) so I will keep the lighting limited until then. I am sure the growth will take off once I get that up and running. I realize that I may have to remove some as they grow in.

Some of the plants in this are:
    Amazon Sword (amazonicus?)
    Kleiner Bar
    Red Rubin
    Red Melon
    Marble Queen Sword
    Green Melon
    Crypts (Red and Green)
    Annuias Nana
    Vals
    Rotala Indica
    Narrow Leaf Chain Swords
    Peruensis

So far the angels really are enjoying it. Thanks!
    Tori
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by happygirl65; 03-07-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: adding pic
    As bright as the sun and twice as proud...I refuse to hang out under a cloud!

raincheck

Here is my two tanks 56 Oceanic show and a 39 gallon tank. Both have wet/drys, canister filter, Halide & T5 lights, pressurized CO2. The 56 has been setup 8 yrs or so, the 39 is a year old.

Registered Member

Here are a couple pics of my first planted tank, along with discus tank. The tank has been up for about 4 months, and the discus have been in there for about 1 and a half. One question I have is, when you guys do water changes on planted tanks, do you find it difficult to siphon the gravel when there are roots practically everywhere? Will the plants take up the nutrients in the fish waste in places I can't siphon? Anyways, let me know your thoughts.

Dave.

raincheck...I am no aquascaping authority by any means. I have however seen hundreds of them. The first impression to me in your 56G is the plants just jump right out at you. Its the first thing my eyes focus on. Its a jungle scape. In other words the plants are just growing in the tank an there is not really a sense of any scape. Many planted tank enthusiasts like this type of tank and just strive for healthy plants. You definately have a tank full of healthy plants!

The Discus come into the picture afterwards. I would personally want accentuate the discus and make the tank a little less busy.

The second tank IMO is really busy. Again a jungle theme. This is by no means a bad thing! Like I stated earlier, some people like this type of style and strive for it. It does however make anyone who looks at the tank see all the plants first and the fish second.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Surferdave View Post
    Here are a couple pics of my first planted tank, along with discus tank. The tank has been up for about 4 months, and the discus have been in there for about 1 and a half. One question I have is, when you guys do water changes on planted tanks, do you find it difficult to siphon the gravel when there are roots practically everywhere? Will the plants take up the nutrients in the fish waste in places I can't siphon? Anyways, let me know your thoughts.

Dave.
    Dave...I like what your doing with this scape! Very nice for your first one. I might change a couple of things with it though.

The power head is pointing towards the front of the tank. I would position it to a 45 deg angle to the front of the tank and plant the vals in the back left corner. This will make the vals lean to the right more as they are trying to do now and actually flow from left to right an lay across the surface in the same way once they mature.

I would also hide the intake and put a prefilter on it. Is that a c02 reactor I see in the back left corner? if it is, I would try an hide it also.

As far as waste getting left behind during WC's, try this...Get a turkey baster and blast the waste away from the places you cant get the syphon to. Once you blast it out, simply syphon it out.
    Mark

raincheck

Thanks Mark!! I really appreciate the feedback. I do like a densely planted tank hence the jungle I do trim the lilly but in both tanks they are taking over. Keep in mind the discus are all around 2-2 1/2 inches, I think the discus will stand out by themselves as they grow out.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Registered Member

Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher (E. bleheri) and I just saw this nice tank. But may I make some suggestions, as long as it is to be a discus tank:

1. Take out Congo tetras, as it does onloy make the discus nervous (try to keep only Amazonian fishes...eat least), if you have not already done.
    2. give them at least one part of the aquarium fine (white if possible, or beige) sand, as they (the discus) will look for it and need it...).
    3. Give them some shade (floating plants, or a driftwood coming in from the),
    4. Make sure that you discus have always plenty of free swimming area from one side of the aquarium to the other, as they need it. They are group fishes and also were they live they have no aquatic vegetationExcept for occasionally floating plants.

Alll the best from a colelctors,

Heiko Bleher
    www.aquapress-bleher.com

(have a look at my Bleher's Biotopes on this website)

Registered Member

Default Aquascaping Critique (any feedback, Heiko?)

I got 6 wild discus a week ago.
    added one yesterday, the biggest one.
    It's like dream come true, so I'd love to share with all the discus lovers.
    and Heiko, what you think of my setup. I tried your concept, just not happy with the wood. I'll collect some driftwood from local lakes.
    Here we come:

you guys have some nice tanks and fish

This is the 125 Pre-Black Disease wipe-out (introduced non-quarantined fish that killed 4 of 8 discus )

I am what i am not, and i most certainly am not what i am

We are the only beings for which being is an issue

Not the best camera- sorry.
    My 75 gal planted Discus Tank
    Please tell me what you think

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast