AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Central Wet-Dry or Drip System?

alex_m

Default Re:Central Wet-Dry or Drip System?

Hello,

IMO there is now way you are going to raise discus in a drip.

I say it because i have tried it and it failed.

Discus develop flaring gills, holes around the head and you

can see that the fish does not put much size.

I dripped 2 gal, three gal etc. it does not work for me.

I am at pH 7.5 and 1000ms.

JMO

alex

Registered Member

moon,

It's called a fluidized bed filter. They offer a HUGE biological surface area compared to bio-balls. I was wondering about using one myself, but I've heard that if you lose power the sand bed loses its fluidization and can become impacted. Then when the power comes back on the water pump isn't able to force water thru the impacted sand and it burns out, but I've also heard that this rarely happens. It's definately something to look into tho.

Cary what do you think?

Thanks Canadianguy. I had a senior moment and could not remember the name. I know a lot of African Chiclid guys that use fluidized bed filters as a central system. It seems to work well with biological filtration. Most of them survived the Ontario power blackout in August of last year.

Registered Member

Good to know. Luckily I didn't lose any fish either.

Apparently after 2 hours there is some die-off of bacteria and after 30 hours you lose it all. Seems to have a fairly large safety margin. I'll look into it some more.

I still say a hoses is best ;D

Canadian guy, as regardws where to drill your tanks, see the thread about the fishroom of discus KC. (In photo gallery) He has hs tanks drilled on the back, fairly low. the bulkhead has an elbow with a stand pipe that can be rotated. When time for a water change, he turns all of the standpipes partially sideways to drain whatever amount of water he wants, then turns them all back upright and fills his system. Only has to use the python to suck sediment. The pictures make more sense than this explanation. Hve a look if you haven't already
    Cary, the lesser

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

I have mine tanks drilled the same with an 90 deg. elbow which can rotate.

Dan

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

[quote author=alex_m link=board=1;threadid=17701;start=30#msg182811 date=1081207918]
    Hello,

IMO there is now way you are going to raise discus in a drip.

I say it because i have tried it and it failed.

[/quote]

Alex ... I'm pretty sure you meant "NO way you are going to raise discus ... "

That's a very general statement that applies to a very specific situation (yours) ... I've raise thousands of discus on a drip system. I know of more successful breeders who also use drip.

I'm not sure why your situation failed, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't the drip system, unless you've had to radically prepair/alter your tap water before you now do your water changes. Even so, if you set up a system with a big vat and prepair the water in the vat, THEN drip it into the tanks, you shouldn't have a problem.

What is it about your drip system you think caused the problem?

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

Hi Jeff,
    Mine is automated and the water is first stored a 330gal overnight with heat and aeration. A timer automatically turns pump on for 2 hrs. 2x a day AM and PM. I wouldn't say it's a drip sytem cuz nothing is dripped in. It more of a flush system. I still syphon the debris off the bottom twice a day but it only takes 10 minutes on 20 tanks versus 1:45 min.
    My storage tank automatically refill. Now I can go on vacation.

Is my system be considered a drip system?

Dan

Dan ... I consider any system that exchanges old water with new/clean water a drip system ... new water in forces old water out ...

Typically it is done in a drip mannor so there isn't a tremendous volume being cahnged over a short period of time. Water source can be TAP WATER (it's own water pressure ...) or prepared water that is pumped into the system. The attributes of any drip system would be :
    • plumbing system for new water IN
    • plumbing system for waste water OUT
    • an overflow device on each tank (either drilled w/bulkhead, or overflow box hanging on the tank

[quote author=CARY_GLdiscus link=board=1;threadid=17701;start=15#msg182772 date=1081198920]
    Come on jeff,
    Are You telling us you only use a drip to change water?

[/quote]

I drain 1/2 to 3/4 the tank once a week (maybe twice) to vaccum the gunk (technical term ... ) out. Otherwise all I do is turn the water on from my tap, make sure the temperature is about 83 to 85 degrees, and let the water drip into each tank. Do this every other day for 4-5 hours

[quote author=CARY_GLdiscus link=board=1;threadid=17701;start=15#msg182772 date=1081198920]
    thats funny My pH is 7.5 and My PPM are also 120 My kh is 7 and also My Gh Your ph should hold at 7.5 if this is true!

[/quote]

Not sure what your driving at with this comment ... I don't check my parameters a lot ... but last time I checked they were as I stated. I'm not a chem professional, but my process is working. The pH drops to a reasonable level in the tanks. And I haven't "NOTICED" significant pH fluctuations ... not to say they aren't happening but I don't monitor very much. Now, I do know I have very little KH in my tap water ... I have to add calcium and magnesium to my planted tank ...

I would love to see pics of Your Discus fry under this kind of set up. and would also love to see some adults and not the ones you just bought. jeff you been around a long time and lots of people have seen your discus.

[/quote]

If I could take better pixs, would love to share ...

from what i hear I'll keep to myself SORRY but am not after friend ship I BEEN SENT TO HELP THE HOBBY FROM FICTION TO FACTS.

PLEASE TAKE CARE

Cary GLD!
    [/quote]

Say what??? Again, I'm not sure I understand your post ... since were offering opinions here to all, please be more specific about your meaning ... I have no problem if you dissagree with my methodology or approach, but I can't tell if you aren't believing that I'm able to raise discus as I described or what ...

P.S ALSO 120PPM IS NOT SOFT WATER ITS MODRATE!
    [/quote]

OK ... 120 PPM is moderate, though if you equate the reading to that on standard hardness test (such as Tetra) the documentation says I have soft water (though boarderline ...

Registered Member

While having the tank drilled on the back with the 90degree elbow and a standpipe may make draining the tank more convenient, it will complicate things for me since I'll be using a central system. I would have to turn off the filter and turn a bunch of valves as well as run seperate plumbing for the water to go straight to the drain rather than to the sump. I'll just use a water pump(if I can find one) to drain...no more python for me! ;D

Registered Member

What size of pipe should I be using for the plumbing? This is for 4 75g tanks. I need to order the tanks tomorrow and have to tell tell them what size hole I want drilled for the standpipe.

Standard 1". drain and 1/2" refill.
    Jimmy.

Registered Member

Thanks Jimmy. Good thing I didn't listen to the guy at the LFS...he said I should go with 1.5".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast