AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Central Wet-Dry or Drip System?

Default Re:Central Wet-Dry or Drip System?

That's inner diameters. The outside diameter can varies depending where you get it. Home depot schedule 40 for electrical ducts are larger in outside diameter. The white ducts and connectors for gardening ponds are even bigger. They are half the cost of the real thing and without a glaze to protect the raw material from sipping out. I'm using both. I prefer the real thing for aqurium use which is darker charcoal grey in color. Spend a little bit more and have a peace of mind.
    Jimmy.

Registered Member

Ok so I should get 1.5" holes then.
    I don't mind spending more money if it's a safer product.

Registered Member

The engineer in me has to speak out. Maybe just definitions, but am a believer in using the correct terms especially when telling someone what size to drill his tank. There is "piping" and there is "tubing" won't even go into conduit or drain pipe which is even different again. Pipe is what is usually used and purchased at Home Depot, etc. White pipe is standard grade (schedule 40) and gray is heavy wall (schedule 80.) They both have the same outside diameter which is about 1.26" if I remember right (sold all my books when I retired.) Tubing goes by outside diameter, 1" tubing is 1" diameter. Tubing is normally not used except they do have a tubing system with special fittings etc which is getting more common for water lines, not sure if it is up to code yet.

But the real question, what size hole you drill, is not determined by the pipe size, it is the bulkhead fitting size!! Need to figure out what size pipe you are going to use, then get the bulkhead fitting for it, the drill the tank as req'd for the bulkhead fitting.

Registered Member

I need 1.75" holes for the bulkheads that fit 1" pipe.

The exact size of the hole is what I was unsure about. I knew that 1" pipe wasn't 1" OD. I figured everything out and have ordered the tanks with proper bulkheads.

Great post aggie,
    It's easy to get confused about pipe and tubes and the differing measurements.

But don't forget there is grey schedule 40 pipe as well.

Canadian:
    Not 1.75 just simply 1". Go to home depot and check out their 1" schedule 40 for electrical conduit and get their 1" fitting bulkhead both male and female for under $3.00. They don't sell elbows and TEE's. Big Al or any Plastic pipe company will sell them. Double glass if under 1/4". to prevent cracking the glass when tightening the fittings. Check ou this complany and you will have an idea of all the fittings. Go to Rigid pipe and fittings. I've got everytingi I need from them. Come to Toronto to get it.

http://www.jjdownsplastics.com/index.html
    Jimmy.

Registered Member

Jimmy,
    I went thru 40 pages of their catalog and I couldn't find any bulkheads. I've also had trouble finding bulkheads of any type at home depot. I had to go to a few stores before I could find something to plumb 2 water barrels together. This town is terrible for finding ANYTHING! Ask for a certain part and they look at you like you're asking for something that you've made up. Bulkheads, 1/2" to 1/4" reducers, and self-priming pumps are figments of my imagination apparently! :

Either way it's too late. I've ordered the tanks with 1 3/4" holes and the bulkheads for them to run 1" ID pipe. If it's bigger than I need it just gives me more options if I want to do something different later on. I wouldn't have minded saving some money, but as long as it works it's worth it.

You can't find it. Just look for connector with 1" male on one side and non-thread for the other end. and a female with non-thread on the other side. Schedule 40 pipe fittings. You can twist and turn whatever you want with their fittings combinations. You will find the same connectors in home depot electrical section for both 1/2" and 1" " Bulkhead" for our term. Except the TEE's and elbows. If you don't mind the color difference. These can be found in a gardening pond section in White. Not light grey. It cost a lot more just becasue they are white and the home gardener are rich. They must have a home start with. Adding a pond is extra........??.
    Jimmy.

alex_m

Hello,

mine didn't work because of increased bioload. All the fish

showed bacterial infections.

There is no way you are going to have a spawn of 100-150

babies in a 60 gallon, feed them heavy and raise them to

quality fish on a drip.

JMO

alex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234