ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Relationship between CO2, KH, and pH

Default Re: Relationship between CO2, KH, and pH

Any material containing Carbonate or Bicarbonate will increase the alkalinity of your water over time. Dolomite and Calcite rock are good choices for long term use. You can buy limestone (calcite) and try that, but I'd recommend getting a small piece of reef rock without any algae to avoid impurities. Seachem's Gray Coast Calcite is good as well.
    Like the bagged reef rock at LFS would be good?
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Registered Member

Yes, it is.

Regards,
    Phil
    I'm not sure what Im looking at, but its huge and I think its going to be cool!

Aquatic Gardeners Association
    www.aquatic-gardeners.org

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

All,

This may help. It's the carbonate cycle.

Spike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spike Cover; 04-29-2010 at 03:37 AM.
    No matter how hard you try,
    You can't beat fun!

Registered Member

Good post Spike. JR

Registered Member

I have some questions plz about adding diy CO2,
    my tank is 50 galon, planted with 6 juvinel discus only, and 2 * 25 watt lamps one of them is growlux
    1- should I turn of the gas injection when i turn of the light, the planets do not need it ?
    2- I use Eheim Torf peat pellets in my cainster, will it effect KH, here in Egypt the water is about 6 KH.
    3- PH measurments was 6.5 before I use CO2, now it is almost 6, will it continue dropping ?
    Please help me, sorry for my bad english, I need a simple advise in simple words , thank you very much

Registered Member

Hello, welcome here!
    1. Plants use up co2 only at day, at night they breath like us, so its useless, even dangerous to inject co2 at night. Best to couple lights with a co2 supplement, so when lights are out co2 is also stopped pumping into the tank.
    2. 6 kh is soft water so yes, pleat will lower your kh and ph a little.
    3.Probably not, but you should consder, that diy co2 yeast method doesnt prodoce co2 evenly, at the begginnig more, at the end less. You should add bacon powder to the mix, so the co2 will be produced for longer time with more constant output.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Hello, welcome here!
    1. Plants use up co2 only at day, at night they breath like us, so its useless, even dangerous to inject co2 at night. Best to couple lights with a co2 supplement, so when lights are out co2 is also stopped pumping into the tank.
    2. 6 kh is soft water so yes, pleat will lower your kh and ph a little.
    3.Probably not, but you should consder, that diy co2 yeast method doesnt prodoce co2 evenly, at the begginnig more, at the end less. You should add bacon powder to the mix, so the co2 will be produced for longer time with more constant output.
    thank you very much, but I want to ask another question plz, I use a tap for the CO2 pottle to close it in night, will it kill the yeast and stop producing CO2 ?
    and in case not, this will not cause vacillation to ph values (up and down) and then cause stress to discuss ?
    shoud I stop using the peat for not getting heigh drop in ph level (under 6 or even under 5.8) ?
    thank you again for your reply and for your help

Registered Member

Ph naturally fluctuates for o,5 between night and day, courtusy of the co2 consumption by day and co2 production from plants and animals by night. Your yeast will not be killed, if you shut it donw at night. Paet is a niissance only b that taht it distorts the relantionship between co2, ph and kh. Its always better to undenourish your plants little with a co2, tahn have toom much co2

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Ph naturally fluctuates for o,5 between night and day, courtusy of the co2 consumption by day and co2 production from plants and animals by night. Your yeast will not be killed, if you shut it donw at night. Paet is a niissance only b that taht it distorts the relantionship between co2, ph and kh. Its always better to undenourish your plants little with a co2, tahn have toom much co2
    what is niissance mean ? and so I stop using peat or not ? I still cant understand, I m sorry brother

Registered Member

Sorry, i am sometimes a little dyslexic when i write on the internet. I meant that peat can distort a little relationship between co2, kh and ph. As peat lowers ph and also lowers your kh. It is better to have less co2 than more co2 as it is recommended by the famous ph/kh chart.

Registered Member

I C , thank you very much

Registered Member

If I am looking to add a presurised CO2 system do i need to be keeping an eye on KH? Do you think an inline diffuser is the best method of infection rather than the seperate bubble diffuser. I will get a CO2 measurer thing that you put in the tank with the liquid, is there anything else you suggest?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by khaled View Post
    I C , thank you very much
    I would consider adding some driftwood rather than peat moss in the canister.
    I also have ph crash mainly due to lack of Carbonate Hardness. After adding Ph regulator to the water I maintain plants with a bare bottom tank arrangement. I use bio matrix in plastic plant containers to weight things down.

The drift wood aids in adding organic matter and slight a acidity. Plants thrive! Fish thrive! The discus create enough co2 if your tanks are stocked appropriately. Great advice to turn things off at lights out if you use co2, use it sparingly.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

This thread is very informative. Thanks for sharing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12