ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Breeding Quality" ?

Registered Member

Default "Breeding Quality" ?

Quite a few threads back, someone; I believe it was moon, commented that someones fish were nice, but not "breeding quality". Could we post some pics of fish that are, and tell why? It would be very much appreciated ;D

Thanks,
    ~Seth

Registered Member ReeferKimberly's Avatar

Default Re:"Breeding Quality" ?

8 month old red turq -

round shape, small proportioned eye, and huge for 8 month. not too much demand for red turqs but if there was, i would breed this one. (in a few months)

hope i'm not bragging or something but in my opinion this would be a good breeding quality fish.
    Kimberly

Registered Member

I'd say most of the Stendker discus posted on here are definately of breeding quality...

You look for unique pattern, red eyes, perfect shape and a very large discus...

Registered Member

Hi Moon,
    Could You tell us More on how you believe this?
    And Why?

I thought You had alot of jeff's fish AKA Ryan You do not think they are good for breeding?

How about the others on this board do you own any of Their Discus? How about gentics? Do we breed brother to sister or outcross? Just becuse they look good does not mean its good for breeding. I can bree 2 culls and make a few good fish.

Now this is not only for stendker Discus this is about ALL!

Thanks
    Cary Gld!

Registered Member

hey kim i got a red turq in my tank that looks exactly like the one in your picture same age too how big is it? mines is 5 inches

Genetics definitely play a role in the quality of any offspring. I understand how "environmental conditions" can effect the outcome of a Discus' overall appearance. With desirable genes a cull could still produce quality offspring.

How do you determine which is genetic and which is not. Are short gill plates genetic? To what degree is shape and size genetic.

Cary how do you pick the good ones?

Registered Member

This is exactly where I wanted this thread to go; keep it coming ;D

Thanks for the responses so far-

~Seth

Registered Member

I go for Roundness Color is all in time ;D

Most Defects are caused by water quality and Toxins not Genetics and Theses days Discus Gentics are very plentyful.

I go for nice round Bodies and nice small eyes. I also look for very rounded finage And good eaters to!

IME Gentic defects are more so Fin shape, broken mood bars, And Small size fish This would also include poor health.

hth
    Cary Gld!

Cary,
    What about fries with crooked head. The heads turn side way. Is it true that it is a genetic defect?

And what about fries with very big head and small body/tail. The fries look like Tadpoles (spellings) and they often die soon.

Trucdan

Registered Member ReeferKimberly's Avatar

dunno, havn't really measured. i'd say about 5 or so as well but not sure.

Registered Member

Cary, you're absolutely right. I wasn't trying to advocate buying just from Stendker, but a lot of his discus come in large and beautiful.

If you can see the parents of smaller fish then great, it's a good way to get an idea of what they can produce and even then there are anomally's that happen all the time.

My point was that with large good looking discus you already know what you're likely to get out of the offspring.

I've got a lot of fish from Jeff, in fact all of mine are from him and I love every last one, all of them are breeders, but they aren't the best I've ever seen before (with the exception of 4)....I guess I was thinking more in terms of what a big time breeder who developes strains etc. would be looking for rather then somone who is in it for the fun.

Cary,
    Could you spend sometime and give us some guidelines about how to pick certain strains to cross-breed discus? I know that many hobbyists just breed whatever they have on hands. But I also believe that there should be some rules about what to cross and what not. We need something such as:

1- Strain A x Strain B = Big No No.
    2- Strain C x Strain D = Good offsprings.
    3- Strain E x Strain F = Don't know :P.

What I am trying to say is some general rules about cross breeding to AVOID producing discus with unfavor features such as solid bars (some people may like it ), lots or pepering, etc.

Come on Experienced breeders, please give us some tips ;D.

Many Thanks.

Trucdan

Registered Member

Right on Moon,
    I new what You were saying but just wanted to hear it! LOL!

I agree Mr Stendker Knows what hes doing!

trucdan,

I would say this is not Genetic but more so water quality when hatching and growing!

Registered Member

This should get interesting! If you want to go to the bottom line, most of what is out there - Are defects! Don’t think you will find all of the crazy colors in the wild.
    With that in mind, our only option, would be true wild caught Discus!

I doubt if you will find many people out there who would agree what color they should be. If that was the case, we would all have identical Hot Pink with Green spots.

There has been a lot of time and money invested in developing the color strains we now enjoy. You can bet, that who ever, spend years selecting, and breeding, to get a hot pink checkered, striped, polka doted, green eyed Discus with Purple Bars - will be upset if you cross it with a Brown.

My show tank, has two Discus that anyone else would cull. They are my favorites, and have no less value to me, than the High Dollar ones, that reside in the back room.

I would have to answer this - healthy - no defects in conformity! Pick your color!

Keep in mind - in- breeding also generates defects. That is why we outlawed incest.
    Might not be a bad idea to throw a little fresh blood into the gene pool. Who knows,
    You might just hit something that will be the next fad! Maybe the defect will be the next rage - look what they have done to dogs! ???

Larry

Registered Member

LEM,
    I believe most new strains originate from crossing any discus and rearing the fry to 3 inches then selecting the odd balls with striking patterns and inbreeding those and so on until the genes are strong enough to get a viable hatch rate....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast