AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Fishroom Construction pics

Default Re:Small Fishroom Construction pics

What needs to be done next is setting up the mini rack for breeding, the RO and RO barrels. I also plan on getting some 1” float valves to put on the fill valves since Ive already flooded the fishroom by forgetting to close a fill valve. My wife was not happy! Eventually I'm going to automate the wc’s using solenoid valves, limit switches, etc.

I should perhaps expand on the electrical setup. Since there are a quite few heaters and pumps, I installed a 6 circuit subpanel in the closet. I ran split circuit receptacles for the pumps and heaters for the racks allowing me to switch only the pumps off from a main switch panel but still have the heaters powered all the time. This main pump switch allows to me turn off all the pumps running on the racks in case of emergency or at feeding time. The lighting is on its on circuit also switched from the main switch panel. This lighting is only for viewing and as seen in the pics above, installed directly above the tanks. There is a main room light with a photocell that is on 24hours a day except during the day when there is enough ambient light from outside. This light is not on the subpanel though. The water storage tank is also has its own split circuit. The main pump, AmpMaster, is on one split receptacle and again can be controlled from the main switch panel. The other side of the split receptacle has the heaters and air pump plus provision for an exhaust fan. This circuit is not switched.

So, finally Ive managed to get it setup partly and the rest will have to wait until after the baby room has been renovated and we get settled in with the little guy.

I hope this will give some ideas and I also hope the there are some suggestions on how to improve.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ronrca; 11-15-2004 at 11:38 AM.

Registered Member

Looks great Ron! I know who to turn to when I get lost building my system. ;D

I'd like to use your system to drain the tanks, but for filling I'm just going to rely on a hose and a pump. It's a little more work that way, but I don't want things to get too complicated. I'll have enough going on anyways!

P.S. I love the idea of an escape hatch in the fishroom! ;D

Looks tottaly awesome Ron!

I went with abs all around the room for drains aswell, whered you get the 250g storage tank from? I can't find one like that, I had to cut the tops of mine to fit them downstairs > > > >

Thanks Jason! I do hope to see some of your fish in the room sooner than later! ;D

Devin aka shorthair I must thank graciously for the tank! ;D Its made by norwesco. http://www.norwesco.com/

Thanks Ron, got my eye on 2 of their poly tanks

let me know if you need to borrow glass drill bits, got 5 sizes :P

Registered Member

Hi Ron,
    Good luck with the system I know you have done a lot of homework preparing for this. How many tanks will you have when finished? One of the best things we did was when painting the walls we added a mold killer, works like a dream. I noticed you have lids on your tanks, we don't, so your humidity will be a lot less.

Good luck,
    Geoff

Thanks Geoff! When the fishroom is completely setup hopefully in the near future, I will have 2 65G, 1 75G, 1 90G-100G, 3 20G! My wife had suggested painting the walls and I may regret it later. Im hoping that I can keep the humidity down with the dehumidifier and perhaps an exhaust fan to avoid mold problems. So far I have been able to keep the RH under 50%. Tank covers do help a lot!

Registered Member

amaizing work you have done there Ronrca

Thanks Karina! I work hard on my fish because I love it! Its like a stress relief! ;D

Registered Member

Keep posting the pics.

Geoff

Stunning fishroom. I like your setup a lot. Please post more photos with details. I'm following ya!

**Angie**

what are u using for overflows??

Overflows on my tanks are drilled with 1" and 1/2" bulkheads.
    Last edited by ronrca; 11-15-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Registered Member

any new updates , ron[??].

Default Re: Small Fishroom Construction pics

Finally I have an update! After many months of planning, designing, buying, begging, etc, we (my future brother inlaw and I) started with the automation (fill and drain) of 1 tank. If it works then all my tanks will be automated. We are still currently working on the wiring and logistics. Hopefully I'll have some pics and explanations near the end of the week!

Ive attached a pic of 1 of the most important components being utilized in the automation, electrically operated solenoid water. These valves are used for sprinkler systems and are fairly cheap (around $20cdn). The only draw back being that these valves require pressure to operate. This is why I am using the Ampmaster pump. I have been using this valve 'manually' now for around 2 months. Manually meaning that when I need to open the valve I plug it into the transformer to open/close! O yes, they operate on 24VDC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ronrca; 11-15-2004 at 12:56 PM.
    In discus limbo atm! So much to do and so little time!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast