ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: heater debate

Registered Member

Default heater debate

I see that most people in this forum use multiple heaters instead of one bigger one. I have been told by Jehmco that this doesn't really work well since the heaters aren't connected they won't really work together, in other words one heater will be doing most of the work while the other one will just sit there, unless you hook them together on a timer or something. What's the deal?

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:heater debate

I use one heater on my 55 gallon and smaller tanks. Iuse two heaters (one on each end) on the 6 foot long tanks

Yep same here and I never had a problem yet!!

Darcy

Some thoughts on dual heaters versus single heaters with attribution to "Discus Hans":

Failure of a single heater sized for your tank may result in cooking your fish or temperatures dropping to an unacceptable low level. Choosing dual heaters allows for a failure of one the heaters without potentially fatal results. That is, if your aquarium requires 300w of heat, the failure of a single 150w heater is unlikely yo boil or freeze your fish.

Real Name
    Jim

I used to use a single 250 watt in my 90 gal and had no problem. When I got my 180 gal I knew I'd have to go multiple, then, read that same article on the Jehmco website. Made alot of sense since I had always shyed away from multiple heaters out of some unknown fear (misplaced or not). Anyway, I got the Jehmco Controller w/ 2 500 watt titanium heaters for both my tanks and they work GREAT. Only problem is the one I just posted under the mispelled "heater Infatuation" (or maybe the first spelling was right?)

The Jehmco units aren't cheap, but they do keep the temp "spot on" and virtually no worry of cooking.

Jim

I'va always used multiple heaters, and found that this has worked best in maintaining a constant temperature. In addition, it definitely adds to the longevity of your heaters, as they will not have to work as hard. if you only use one heater and it happens to fail on you, you don't hav to worry about a serious temperature drop. It's always nice to have a fail safe!

Howie

Don't believe for a minute that the Jehmco controller with two 500 watt titaniums won't cook your fish. I had one last summer get the temp in one of my discus tanks up to 95+, and was heading higher if I hadn't felt how hot the water was and unplugged it. Really stressed out some of my fish in my 200 gallon Oceanic, but fortunately I was there and caught it. Sent it into John, and he claimed it was water damaged, which is impossible considering where it was. Talked to some other people that had problems with them, and they said he told them the same line of bull. John wanted to just sell me another $65 controller, but I fought him on it, and told him I wanted it sent into the factory since it was still under warranty. > He relented but said they probably wouldn't fix it. He said he had a pile of the same controllers he needed to send in (for the same problem?!) :-\ ???, so he'd send mine in to see if they'd fix it. So I had to implement some of my backup ebo jaegers I had replaced with this heater. And fortunately it happened in the summer when the temps aren't so bad. So he sent it in, and they fixed it at no charge, but wouldn't have if I hadn't said no and insisted it be fixed under warranty since I knew the water damage accusation was bull. Think about it guys that think a controller equals no chance of frying fish. If the controller sticks on you (like mine did and wouldn't turn off till unplugged from the wall), then you've got the same as a single big heater in your tank. Since it came back fixed, I've had no problems. But wonder if it would just be better to let one smaller heater work harder in a tank, and the other is there if the other fails or the exterior temperature should drop. May be a better, yet more expensive system. Expensive that is, until your favorite breeder pair of discus cooks on you. For what it's worth, I've been very happy with the Won Pro Heat titanium heaters. And am running two smaller ones in a tank in several of my tanks, though I don't have all my system converted yet.
    Lance Krueger

Ok, I'm all for failsafes! Thought 'bout this extra heater debate & sometimes it does make sense, however, if one has 2 heaters in the tank, set at the same temp (?), & one fails, how do you know this? They are not "on" all the time, & I don't stand & watch them, so how would one know if one is not working, the temp stays the same, yes? Should one perhaps be set at a slightly lower temp so it will act as a backup?? Then the other does all the work, which is probably ok, perhaps they could be interchanged periodically.
    I am using the Lifeguard temp alerts in all my tanks, & tho expensive, should alert me to temp changes, if i can hear it, lol Dottie ;D

IMHO
    Jehmco.....trying to sell there equipment.
    Multiple is the way to go.
    Yes it is true, one will work harder than the other since it is impossible to buy two heaters that are calibrated exactly the same....
    but honestly..........who cares.
    the benefits far out way that (IMHO) insignificant detail.

[quote author=korbi_doc link=board=1;threadid=18173;start=0#msg187990 date=1083259205]
    Ok, I'm all for failsafes! Thought 'bout this extra heater debate & sometimes it does make sense, however, if one has 2 heaters in the tank, set at the same temp (?), & one fails, how do you know this? They are not "on" all the time, & I don't stand & watch them, so how would one know if one is not working, the temp stays the same, yes? Should one perhaps be set at a slightly lower temp so it will act as a backup?? Then the other does all the work, which is probably ok, perhaps they could be interchanged periodically.
    I am using the Lifeguard temp alerts in all my tanks, & tho expensive, should alert me to temp changes, if i can hear it, lol Dottie ;D
    [/quote]

Dottie,

I can't believe you're relying on the Lifeguard temp alerts...I learned longo ago to have a fulltime actual lifeguard on duty in my fish room...it's the only way to be absolutely sure!

Seriously though, if you pay regular attention to your equipment, sooner or later you'll notice if a heater has died...especially if you see that the heater's light hasn't come on since the late 50's.

Howie

Howie!!! :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

OK, now tell me where I can find that nice ole lifeguard!! hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, could be fun!!!!! lol, Dottie 8) 8)

Real Name
    Jim

Hey Lance,

Scarry thought having 1000 watts of heater stuck on - think I'll give John a call and see if he'll admit to any problems (won't mention any names just in case you need something else from him). I'm changing the 500's for 250 ebo's in the 90gal anyway cause my one lady fish is in love with the titanium and won't spawn. Maybe I'll use the controller with my RO holding tanks instead.

Thanks for the insight

Jim