AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone purchase fish from Hep's Discus?

Default Re:Anyone purchase fish from Hep's Discus?

I agree with Carol there are a lot of sick fish out there at the lfs remember you get what you pay for The wait for Jeff to get his fish in is well worth it I have got fish from Jeff the last 4 shipments All have been great all top notch and very HEALTHY

Registered Member

Thanks for the warnings Carol and Discusgeo. If I buy any discus from Chichlids and salt and I be sure to quarantine the fish for a couple months.

Registered Member

I wanted to add that the cobalt blue's this guy had were really the best quality discus I have seen in person. If I were to say buy some PB's and Cobalts from him and then later on quarantine some manderain passions and red turqs and put those in with his fish. THink It would be very risky? (Discus farm is just really expensive, but I will gladly pay if it minimizes the risk to my discus =)

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Hi PC:
    Have you ever had another hobby like skate boarding or racing bikes? If so you may have seen that some kids started off with cheap equipment that they quickly had to upgrade while others maybe had a big brother or someone to point out the good beginner stuff. Stuff that would take them a long way in the hobby and that they could be proud to show off to other enthusiasts.

We're just trying to save you from wasting time and tank space on low quality discus. I think Jeff had a beginner package of discus reasonably priced.

Registered Member

[quote author=Carol_Roberts link=board=27;threadid=18181;start=15#msg187134 date=1082925724]
    Hi PC:
    Have you ever had another hobby like skate boarding or racing bikes? If so you may have seen that some kids started off with cheap equipment that they quickly had to upgrade while others maybe had a big brother or someone to point out the good beginner stuff. Stuff that would take them a long way in the hobby and that they could be proud to show off to other enthusiasts.

We're just trying to save you from wasting time and tank space on low quality discus. I think Jeff had a beginner package of discus reasonably priced.
    [/quote]

He's all sold out at the moment. I appricate you trying to steer me in the right direction, I want to make as little mistakes as possible . SO I guess discusfarm here I come!

Registered Member

Great analogy Carol.

pcgamer02 tell me if these Discus are worth the time and money I had to save for instead of buying the cheaper Discus in the pet store. You are going to get what you pay for. The time it will take you to save a little more money for the higher quality Discus will be worth it. Now I am broke because of it. Just kidding but I was poorer after this buy.
    8)
    Snow Whites from Jeff@discusfarm.us

8)

8)

Registered Member

THose are some sexy discus!

Real Name
    Walter

Carol, aren't there other breeders/ importers in Oregon? Maybe pcgamer02 could visit 3 breeders/impoters and then choose to deal with one from that.

Registered Member

[quote author=Wahter link=board=27;threadid=18181;start=15#msg187160 date=1082935978]
    Carol, aren't there other breeders/ importers in Oregon? Maybe pcgamer02 could visit 3 breeders/impoters and then choose to deal with one from that.
    [/quote]

The only breeder I know of is Hep's

You might also talk to Jeff Doty...Hes a great hobbyist breeder of discus and other cichlids located in oregon...

you can contact him at...

http://www.southamericancichlids.com/

email...
    yvanandjeff@southamericancichlids.com

Both Jeffs would be good to work with and will stand behind their fish better than most LFS,. IMO. Support like that is critical these days.

hth,
    -al

ps, Heps isn't a breeder. I don't know of anyone that has Fish that Heps bred. His business base is that of an importer. If you are looking for a great breeder, try Cary Strong at Great lakes discus or some of the hobbyists breeders on this site that ship.

I would contact Jeff if he is close. He used to post on the boards and was great to chat with, but I don't see him around anymore? A big loss IMO.

mattd

Registered Member

Just got off the phone with Jeff (Discus Farm). He is out of discus right now but will have some in a month's time (including quarantine). After talking to him, I will definitely be buying discus from him!

Definately worth the wait PC. Healthy good quality stock is one of the secrets to discus success. Now get your water change routine down and you'll have another one of the secrets locked in.

RandalB

I did purchase some fish from Mike too...and as of now they are all burried in the backyard..... :'(

I either go with Cary or Joe

Real Name
    Willie

Jeff's got the best imports around these days, so he's always going to be out. Its not a fish store. You can't just walk in and pick the fish you want. Here's what you need to do.

1. Call Jeff.
    2. Ask him what types are coming in.
    3. Look at the pix.
    4. Pick some fish.
    5. Send him a 50% deposit.
    6. Sit tight.

Willie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast