AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Eheim 2229 Wet/Dry Filter

Default Eheim 2229 Wet/Dry Filter

Hello to everyone.
    I am considering purchasing the Eheim 2229 Wet/Dry filter to put on the 115 Gallon Discus tank and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? Is this the best choice or do you know of something which would be better?

Please give me your advice and/or opions about this or other filters for this tank.

Thanks to all for your help,
    Bryant

Don_Lee

Default Re:Eheim 2229 Wet/Dry Filter

Hi Bryant,

Eheim canister filters are very high quality, and are priced accordingly. I have heard of some people having difficulty with the wet/dry model functioning properly.....AND
    You will find few on this board that use canister filters. They are just too difficult to open up and clean, and with all of the water changes necessary for discus the canister filters great bio capacity is not really necessary. I would tend to say save your money and time, and buy an Aquaclear 500 or two for your tank. They are cheaper, much easier to clean, and will do what you need them to do.

Good Luck,

Don

Don,
    I definitely like the idea of cheaper, that's more money to spend on Discus. ;D ;D I just wanted to make sure that I had sufficient filtration for my Discus. Of course, I will also add a couple of sponges inside.

Thanks for your reply and keep 'em coming,
    Thanks again,
    Bryant

Don_Lee

With an AC500 or two, with prefilters on the input, you will have plenty of good filtration.

Have Fun!

Don ;D

Don,
    That sounds REALLY good. I was just pricing some of the A/C 500's and even buying 2 of them I will save a TON of money to buy MORE DISCUS!!!

Thanks for your help,
    Bryant

Registered Member

I use the eheim wet/drys on my tanks along with internal sponge filters. As some breeders have mentioned, wet/dry is excellent filtration, and the eheim is one of the best. I only use eheim sintered glass ball bio-media, no foam pads, and the filter just needs to have the media rinsed every 6 months, which takes me about 15 minutes to complete. I use the internal foam filters as backups, as I can run them on battery operated pumps in the case of a power failure, which I do get from time to time. The down side is the filters are expensive, but if you are only going to run one or two large tanks you'll find no better filter.

FishKeeper,
    I have an Eheim 2026 Pro II now and I have to say it is the BEST cannister filter I have seen. That is why I was considering the Wet/Dry for this tank. If all Eheim products are as good as the one I have now, I will always use the Eheim as far as cannisters go.

Thanks for your reply, I am glad to hear the Wet/Dry is working good for you.

Bryant

Don_Lee

I previously owned a 2028 Eheim, it was a great filter. However, I do not think that the canister design makes much sense for most of us....it is expensive, hard to clean, etc... I have no complaints about my old Eheim, but I would never bother with a canister filter again.

JMO,

Don ;D

Don,
    No, I think I will take your advice on this tank because it is going to be BB Growout/QT/Hospital tank. I think a couple of the AC 500's and a couple of sponges should be sufficient for this type set up and like you said, BIG money savings to buy more Discus!!! ;D ;D ;D

My 312 gallon has a custom built Berlin style with a 48" x 18" X 18" sump. I think I'll just stick about 3 sponges in it and that should be plenty for it as well.

Thanks again,
    Bryant

I have the eheim wet/dry canisters on 2 of my tanks. I bought them when I was just starting discus 6 months ago, before I found this board. I have 20+ years experience with fish keeping, but new to discus. I agree with Don that for most applications, they seem to be overkill. They work great, don't get dirty if you use a prefilter sponge, and are really not as difficult as some think. They also a totally different animal that a regular canister. I love mine. But, really unnecessary! I recenetly bought an aquaclear AC 500 for one of my tanks. It seems there isn't any need to buy the eheim. I have 2 eheims on my 75 gallon that is slightly overstocked with 10 adults. 2 AC500,s would have been more than enough.
    Cary the lesser

Cary,
    Hey, I appreciate that info and I am definitely going with the 2 AC 500's and 2 Sponges. Placed my order last night and it was 1/3 of what the 1 Wet/Dry was going to be. Means MORE Discus I can buy!!! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again,
    Bryant

Registered Member

I would recommend constructing your own wet/dry trickle filter out of a 10 gallon tank or somthing even larger if you can afford it, the price should end up being about the same but the capacity of a do it yourself will be much larger.