AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My first tank overflow

Registered Member

Default My first tank overflow

Well today I had my first Tank spillover in about 7 years of keeping fish. To make it worse I was in a arguement with a friend in a chatroom(reason why I forgot about it) so I was already in a bad room. Luckily it was the aging tank that overflowed so I was able to just drain it and move it. Anyways, all I can say is wow, I was in the room so I knew as soon as it started splashing over and went racing to the bathroom, but however it still turned a decent part of the carpet wet.
    Matt

Registered Member

Default Re:My first tank overflow

Wow Matt,

Seven years without a spillover...I wish I was as careful as you. At least the Discus are fine.

Lester

well..i say invest in a wet dry shop-vac. just dont leave it plugged in.
    it may not be your last. and..rule number one..dont go on the computer especially in a chatroom or msn while filling tanks or draining. take it from me. ive done it more than once in 7 years!!

Registered Member

Hmmmm, guess this is another good reason to stick with my buckets. ;D (But then, I only have one discus tank!)lol My upper arms are getting in GREAT shape!
    Janice

Hey Matt. I thought I heard a loud scream the other day. At least you were in the same room when it happened. I've NEVER done that......sorry, just had to make a mad grab for the refill hose!!! See ya, Kaceyo

Registered Member

Welcome to the club!

I think it's a requirement that all aquarists flood their tanks. I'm extremely careful, but in 15 years of keeping fish I have managed it 3 times.

I always keep old bath towels on hand for emergencies!!!

John

Registered Member

OK, here's mine:
    A couple years ago, maybe 2 weeks after I got my tank up and running, I was out doing an errand when I recieved a hysterical call from my partner to come home immediately, there were terrible noises and water everywhere...the tank in question was my 180 which is set up on the 2nd floor of our old farmhouse....I was only minutes away--I drove home just short of flying and zoomed upstairs to find that our two cats had gotten into the aquarium cabinet and started a wrestling match...they yanked off the line to the CO2 reactor which created a fountain of water which ominously was not puddling very much in the living room, though clearly I'd lost at least 10-15 gallons of water....I also had a supplemental O2 pump plugged in for a small tank nearby...the cats got tangled up in that cord and yanked the pump off it's table....the air pump was on its back like a turtle running in circles on the floor vibrating wildly on the wood floor, and of course the wet/dry sump water pump was run low so there was an ominous loud sucking noise as well. Sort of a cacophany of madness......
    I got everything turned off, put to rights, turned on, and took a deep breath....all the while worrying about where all the water had gone, as if I didn't know.
    I ran back downstairs to investigate and walked into a spring shower from the ceiling directly below the tank.....I cleaned up and waited....6 days later the plaster started falling down, of course--this is a 100 year old house. I ended up having to replace about an 8 x 8 foot section of the ceiling shortly thereafter.......several lessons learned from this one,
    several layers of evasive action taken for the future.....it was a hell of a week!
    Best regards,
    Harriett

Registered Member

I nominate Harriet's post for the funniest stories thread!

Registered Member

hey, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! I'll repost it over there!
    Harriett

Registered Member

Well today I had my first Tank spillover in about 7 years of keeping fish.
    I've done that 3 times in the last 3 weeks :... as well as a multitude of other mistakes (sucking a chocolate gourami up the siphon tube... : )

Matt,

Now you're a real discus hobbyist I've been there in chat many times when April let her tanks overfill... and I've done it on occasion too. It's amazing how time gets away from you when you're typing and typing and...

Ryan