AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High fin bat.

Registered Member

Default High fin bat.

Would like to hear opinions on the newest discus,the high fin bat. is this the real mccoy or a worthless morph

Registered Member

Default Re:High fin bat.

Some people like them, most don't. I think they are different and interesting. I would probably be tempted in the future to buy some once more are available in the U.S.

-Ryan

Registered Member

If I had a Dog that ulgy I'd shave its butt and teach it to walk backwards.

they are culls!

Registered Member

When the ghosts first came out, many thought they were culls too, but they prove to be culls only in the eyes of the uninitiated...Try not to be so quick in judgements based on skin deep appearence.

To answer your question, this morph could be a dud or it could be your ticket to stardom and fortune depending on your ability to decipher the genetics and encompass it successfully in your breeding program. hth.

Registered Member

Are these the fish were talking about? It's a little more then a change of skin deep appearence. Breeding for color is one thing but taking a discus and making it look like an angel is another

Registered Member

I actually like these, would I want all discus to look like this? No...
    angelfish werent naturally veils or superveils (super high long fins) they could not survive in the wild with these fins, and I imagine when people first started distrubuting them there were alot of people who thought they were culls and hated them. Now they are an accepted & embraced part of the angelfish hobby, either you like em or you dont.

I imagine bat discus also require a step up in care, as do superveil angels. longer fins are more susceptable to bacterial infections, being split, etc etc. They cant swim as fast, and therefore should be watched out for & make sure tankmates arent trying to beat them up.

i KINDA LIKE,EM.Change is a "good" thing.Think where the hobby would be today if everyone said "dont try to make that goldfish into something its not".Or guppies,or....

If that pic is the "bat discus", I like it!! The color is pretty, the body is round, the eye is red, & the fins are long! I like the long fins, think it adds to the fish, but then I always liked the "veil" look on lotsa other fish as well. &, at least it has a tail!! Unlike some others we've seen that I did not like! JMO, Dottie ;D

Registered Member

Mike Heppner has imported several pairs and plans to show one at the ACA. They are here folks, I think they will go over big with most hobbyist. Ken

Registered Member

This fish is at its evolutionary stage of development. In the near future you will be able to see the long fin transformed to hi finned specimens. The shape now is not the most desirable, but watch out for future generations...if they(the envelope pushing breeders of SEA) get it right..

Registered Member

Are you guys kidding? wheres the difference between bats and hart shaped discus?

Registered Member

Bats have their tails.

-Ryan

These are completely different than the heart shaped discus. The heart shaped discus had deformed bodies that were compressed-looking and most had no tails. These high-fin discus (which is all they really are) have normal functioning bodies. The only difference between this fish and any other discus is the fact that it's fins are longer. If you were to trim them down, you'd see the fish is still round like a discus should be. It doesn't have bad shape, it's just that its fins make it *appear* that way.

A lot of species of fish have different "morphs". Veil angels, long-finned rams, long-finned oscars, long-finned zebra danios, long-finned plecos... it's nothing new in the fish world. It boils down to the fact that it's about personal preference. I never kept superveil angels but I did think some veils looked nice and have kept them in the past. I also like the appearance of these long-finned discus and I wouldn't mind a few for myself one day.

If you don't like them, it's your preference and you don't have to buy them. But some people will like them, and that's fine too. But I hardly think you can go around saying they are culls or they are deformed, because they look like any other discus to me, except their fins are slightly longer. But no one's making a fuss about all the other long-finned fish out there, so why should the discus be any different?

Ryan

Registered Member

Ok, I’ll revise my previous statements…….[glow=red,2,300]In my opinion [/glow] they are culls, but I also don’t like the veil tails or long fin anything. They way I look at it we’ve got a canvas, stay within the lines, don’t change the canvas just the picture.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We N. American discus keepers are being very conservative. The discus trend in the East are lot more different than ours. They thrive for rarities and one of the kind which often net the breeders a handsome profit and there is always someone out there willing to pay. For them it's a business. Supply and demand determine the price. There are a lot of not everyday discus inside a secret hiding place in their hatchery. There are a lot more new discus comming out slowly in the discus world in Asia. The new generation of breeders are different from 20 years ago. Most of them are the second or third generation of breeders who attended college and have degree of something related to fish and agricuture. A group of well education breeders and pharmacists. They thrive for excellence and dedicated their time in it. We have a lot of catching up to do. Don't say they are culls. They are just different and being well look after by their owners. There is no mutilation or mistreatment to them. They love their discus as much as we do. JMHO
    Jimmy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast