AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IS AN RO UNIT A NEED???

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:IS AN RO UNIT A NEED???

You need test kits - at least for ammonia - especially if you decide to change filters.

I still wonder about water quality - especially since the tetras have white spots on fins

Registered Member

thanks for the tips....

a question... im currently performing water changes with buckets and its such a hassle.. and i was recommended a pond pump??
    would this pump be suitable for WC's for my 3 foot tank?
    http://www.aquariaonline.com.au/prod42.htm

Registered Member

so the test kits i "REALLY" need are
    nirate
    ammonia
    kh

anything else? another thing im still kinda fuzzled about... is say i test the ammonia and it tells me a certain reading.. i dont know if its good or bad.. and if it is bad,... im still not sure how to fix the problem.. ??? ???

You need to be able to test the basic parameters of your water...including its pH.

Here's a good thread that talks about cycling your tank and what to shoot for; http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=7107

As for getting a pump, you need to buy one that is rated for a height that matches the number of feet you will be lifting the water into from the bottom of your holding tank to the top of your aquarium (the one you have listed is only rated for 1.5 meters so you might want at least the next size up).

Howie

Get a medium or large pond pump from Walmart. The medium uses a hose with a 1/2 inch insisde diameter (python hose), the large a 3/4 inch (garden hose size). You want a pump that will fill your tank as quickly as possible without excessive turbulence. Personally I like python hoses - they remain supple and roll easily. You can buy 20 foot lengths called extensions. I buy 50 foot ones on sale, cut in half and use one to drain the the other to fill.

Any ammount of ammonia is too much. Keep doing water changes until ammonia is close to zero.

Buy a master test kit. You need test kits for pH, ammonia, GH, KH, NitrIte and NitrAte

Registered Member

the pump i ordered isnt available anymore.. does any of u guys kno any good cheap fish accesories online?? im from australia..

wat does it mean if my discus only come out to eat & swim when nobody is around.. and they hide in the corner if someone comes to close to the tank..

Just not used to people yet. You want to give them a little bit of food every time you pass by. Soon they will run to front of tank to greet you ;D

Like Carol, I also use a pond pump that I purchased from Walmart. The company that manufactures them is called Beckett http://www.888beckett.com. If you do a search on-line, you'll find many places that cary pumps, and a variety of prices that are cheaper than the pet/fish supply places. One place you can start is http://marketexpo.com as I know they sell the Beckett pumps that Walmart carries here in the states.

Howie

Registered Member

but carol, its been a long time, theres a little bit of traffic around the tank.
    with the wiping down your tank with paper towels..
    are you suppose to use get the paper towel stick ur arm in the water and wipe the inside glass?
    my marbarlo red, has like some white velvety patch growing off the back of his top fin. its not spots though. what could that be?
    out of curiosity, roughly how much food do u feed discus each feeding session? i give about half a cube of beefheart between the 3 sometimes...
    howie, i think i've decided to spend that extra money at the local aquarium, kuz i juss wanna start using it.. the lifting heavy water is getting to me.. thanks anyways

Actually I use a sponge on a stick (sold in the kitchen supply section of grocery stores). I always wear sleevless shirts when cleaning the fish tanks ;D

When using paper towels (buy expensive ones that don't fall apart under water) you stick your arm all the way in the tank.

The patch sounds like a bacterial plaque. Should go away with daily water changes and clean enviornment.

For the price of a pump at the pet store,you could get the pump AND the criticle test kits you need.I'm on a budget so I like to get as much as I can for my money.All you have to do is be willin to put up with 1 more week of bucketing.JMO kACEYO

Registered Member

sponge on a stick, i'll look out for those..
    i got a new discus today..=) his quite big compared to my other 3.
    i was in shock when i learnt from the aquarium owners, that its not good to do daily water changes... as it flushes away too many good bacterias. one aquarium owner told me he does about 2inches of water change fortnightly, yet his discus look good and healthy. this news shocked me for i've been gathering all my resources from simplydiscus.com, and the number one priority here seems to be water changes.. can someone reassure my dillemma?
    i got a cosmo 2000 pump for $50 today also... but now im hesitating for w/c's... enlighten me please ???

Registered Member

All I can say is this and I get all my info from Simply Discus.........
    Clean water means happy Discus. I have learned the hard way..........

Discus are different than other tropical fish. It is easiest to maintain discus health in a clean, bare bottom tank with daily water changes and clean filters.

Some discus are hardier than others and can get by with a dirtier enviorment.

Registered Member

thanks guys i think i'll continue with my water changes..
    but isnt it hard to do daily water changes yet keep the same level of all water parameters?
    no matter what my discus will hide when people are around.. and only come out to eat when the coast is clear.. i love it when they stretch their top and bottom fins out.. but my discus always have their fins down...
    any suggestions to prevent them from hiding so much?? its getting irratating..

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast