ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My new discus room!

Registered Member SantaFeDiscus's Avatar

Default Re:My new discus room!

Ronrca-
    Thats exactly along the lines of what I was thinking of using. Water will easily evaporate here and I would rather have wet "carpet" or matts than slippery concrete.
    Fred

Registered Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't do carpet or anything else. Go to Home Depot and buy a squeegee. And someone mentioned that once it was done it was done. Well I would respectfully submit that once it was done it was just started.

Kpix99-
    A squeegee isn't a bad idea but it would work better if I had a drain in the concrete slab floor, and I don't. Also, I would like to think that I won't be so sloppy as to need a squeegee to clean up my spills. Hopefully : I will just make little spills.
    And at this point I am leaning towards matts becuase I could pick them up and hang them if neccessary. But I still have weeks untill I have to make a decision. Thanks for your input, and everyone else should know that I am open to any suggestions and would appreciate any advise especially if you have already built a fishroom for yourself and then realized that you should have done x, y or z.
    Fred

Since I have this artificial turf for a couple of months, I would not go back to concrete. I have a mini carpet cleaner that I use for the sole purpose of sucking up water which works very well. I use it and by the next morning everything is dry. Since this stuff is cheap and easy to cut, one can easily remove it if one does decide not to like it but from my experience, I love it! O, yeah! I dont have a floor drain either which is a nusance.

Registered Member

I vote no on Carpet of any kind, You will spill, that is a given. The smell of wet carpet that has been sitting in a very warm room is not a pleasant thing. I had a thin rubberized piece that I used for a little while, but after the third time of having to hang it outside for a couple of days, it never made it's way back in. You can get a squeegee attachment for your shop vac that does a great job. Keep those pictures coming. Paul.

Its not really carpet rather sort of a mesh material. Its used outside quite commonly on decks and whatever else. When it drys, no smellies!

Ronrca-
    I know exactly what your talking about and I might end up using it. But I hate that ugly bright green color! Is that the color of your carpet? I'll try to find something more attractive.
    Keep up the suggestions you guys and Paul the shop vac squeegee thing is just the excuse I was looking for to buy a shop vac!
    Fred
    PS we didn't get a whole lot accomplished today but I think we will finish the framing tomarrow.

last one.

Registered Member

Fred- this is great!
    You've made alot of progress. Sounds like you are doing all the work on it too... that will make it even sweeter.

I would go with the indoor/outdoor turf if anything... I have seen it in the grass green, dirt brown and ocean blue ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I'd go with a piece that you can pick up; in other words I wouldn't tack it down or put things on top of it like racks etc.
    I have the green stuff for camping; and you could easily pick yours up and hang it on a line if needed as I do when I get home from a trip.

Looking forward to more pics!

Jean ;D 8)

Jean-
    Ocean Blue sounds like a color I would like to check out! Thanks for the encouraging words! I do have one person helping me that really knows what he's doing but besides that its just the two of us and when its all done I can have the satisfaction of knowing that all of this was built right and was done at least partly by my own hands. I think I will be able to appreciate it a lot more. This room is going to be a place were I can sit down, watch my fish, relax, put my feet up, and take it all in. 8) The suggestion to not put the racks on top of the carpet is what I was thinking because as you said I could then take it up and hang it whenever necessary. Thanks for the input.
    Fred

Registered Member

Instead of carpet,why not go to Home Depot and check out the rubber tiles in the tile and carpet section....it comes in 2 ft squares,interlocks together and ya can take it up if need be...it is about 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick.

Mench

Mench-
    Good idea, I'll check it out today.
    Fred

Well I didn't get much done today, spent most of the day moving a new refridgerater into the house and taking the old one out to put into the fish room. I believe that I have figured out what to floor the room with though, Home Depot has a bunch of outdoor carpet and there are two that I have narrowed it down to. Smoke Blue and Paradise Green. Post more tomarrow.
    Fred

Today we finished puting the walls up. Tomarrow we will put up the ceiling joists and OSB plywood.
    Slowly but surely, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is my fish room, but it's coming along. 8)
    Fred

Last one.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast