AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wild Blue Spawn

Default Re:Wild Blue Spawn

any updates? anxious to see pics...

-mike

Registered Member

Nice spawn! Keep us posted on future spawns too!

Yeah, Ronald...

It's been about 3 weeks, and no new pics. You're slacking!!! ;D

Judi

Hi Guy's,

Sorry for the late respond.

Well there is not much I can update on that spawn :'(
    From the 11 that made it through my treatment 7 of them did not recover and went to fish heaven.
    I have 4 left (aren’t I good with counting lol) but it seems they are also struggling. I'll make a pic later tomorrow.

I also have from the same pair Wild's about 40 fry.
    They are now 8 day's old and doing good so far. The are still with the parents in the 125 Tank.

I just wish I had been more interested in Breeding in the past. Might have a bit more of a clue what to do lol. ???
    Should have listend to Tad. 8)

Ronald

Registered Member

Ronald,
    Whats getting your fry? large daily WCs and wipedowns a must with fry,(otherwise clean, clean, clean) watch for signs of flukes=secondary bacterial infections....is most often what causes the most havoc with young fry.....watch for ammonia spikes due to increased bioload from bbs etc..

and at 4 months send me some Juvies ;D

regards,
    Tad

This may sound very strange . But I also had the same problem as every one else with the problem of very high mortality in the range from 4 to 6 week. And I change water 50% every morning and evening. No success!!!

I started to change less water only 10 to 20% every day. I didn’t let my water air for 48h and let the pH drop to 5. Lower pH gives lower amount of bacteria. And use large filter with “zeolite” as filter material. This made much better success than before.

Another method is to transfer the fry with first sign of eating artemia. Then there is no time for the young to get any sickness. Next step in a small tank 10 liters.

What is interesting when changing water is rate of change 100% every time then it’s not possible for **** to “build up”. If you change 40 l every day? Then it’s better to keep the fish in 10 l than 40 l, in the 10 l tank you get 4 times water change every day in the 40 get one turn over. This is a very hard method you have to increase the tank often and the small tank also make the young to find the food, very good growth.

Tony:s tanks is built up on this princip. With auto matic waterchange. I use the first.

Thanks Tad and "Tack" Johan (that’s about all Swedish I learned so far)

I treated for Flukes Tad but it seems the treatment did more harm then anything else. But hey, live and learn.
    I also made the mistake and put them in a 55 gal.
    The new fry will go into a 29 gal. That's the smallest I have available right now. The 20 gal. I have is Hospital and QT tank and I am a bit reluctant to use that one.

The 4 Horseman emmm Fishman seem to find the food, I guess.

Pic. coming up soon :-\

Ronald

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123