ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginners setup

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Beginners setup

Don't bother with an AC 200 on that size tank. AC 300 + AC 200 does not equal the filtering capacity of an AC 500.

I use Aqua Clear 500 on that size tank.

Registered Member

Do you still think it is a good idea to put the already cycled AC200 and the gravel from my 10g temporarily untill the tank is cycled?

I wouldn't use any gravel at all in a Discus tank. Keep it barebottom. If the AC200 is your only cycled filter then yes, start out with both and do huge water changes. Again, do not add subtrate of any kind. You will kick yourself later.

hth!

Registered Member

I was only going to add the gravel temporarily to help the tank cycle. I planned on taking it out before I added any discus to the tank. If I do clear out the 10g can I use it for something like a fry tank, hospital tank, or is there any other uses I can get out of it.

Blake

Skip the gravel. Put the cycled sponges from the ac200 underneath one AC 500 sponge for 2 or 3 weeks then remove the AC 200 sponges and add a 2nd AC 500 sponge. Test ammonia daily for first week or two and do daily water changes of at least 30%

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

WOH FOLKS

First, an AC200 + AC300 together will probably OUTPERFORM a single AC500
    • the prime purpose of a filter is to provide for biological filtration
    • filter effectiveness is a function of flow (gallons/hour) PLUS capacity for bacteria
    • AC200 moves 200 GPH, AC300 moves 300 GPH, AC500 moves 465 GPH
    • I could be wrong on this but I think the available surface volume for bacteria to colonize on is greater on the combination of the AC200 + 300 sponge than on a single 500 sponge
    • EXTRA benefit ... the combo setup provides continuous filtration should one filter break ... the single 500 doesn't have that capacity

That said, the difference between a 200+300 or a single 500 isn't that great ... I'd say go with what you have

Regarding cycling the tank ... a seeded AC200 will function just fine on a new 55 gallon setup ... you shouldn't experience ANY cycle problems assuming 1/2 dozen discus (as long as the AC200 stays cycled). Any additional filter added will become cycled transparently to the keeper.

Also, if you are cycling a new tank, you need to have ammonia present ... this is accomplished usually with fish in the tank (though fishless cycling is possible).

I always run TWO sponges in an AC 500. Two AC 500 sponges has much more area than a combination of two AC 200+ two AC 300.

I stand by my post. In my opinion an AC 500 full of media is better than a 200 + 300 full of media on a 55 gallon tank.

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

[quote author=Carol_Roberts link=board=21;threadid=19647;start=15#msg202731 date=1091064894]
    I always run TWO sponges in an AC 500. Two AC 500 sponges has much more area than a combination of two AC 200+ two AC 300.

[/quote]

Two sponges is an excellent approach.

But (I think) if you do the math (and I could be wrong), the combined surface area for two AC500 sponges is around the surface area for 2 AC200 and 2 AC300, so I think it's a wash. So it comes down to preference. Given that FLFishguy already has a AC200, I'm not sure the incremental gain of a AC500 is a cost effective solution. IMO he'll get about the same filtering effect whether he goes with a 200 + 300, or 1 ac500.

I guess you can't go wrong with either approach.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12