ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: my new albino blue diamond throwbacks-- and more.

Registered Member

Default my new albino blue diamond throwbacks-- and more.

Here they are: three ABD throwbacks, with a ssuper flamingo-- and in the opposite corner, the albino millennium gold-- who was separated this afternoonm from the others when it became patently clear he was bullying them all into hiding behind the sponge filter, and they were unable to get to their nice plump bloodworms as a result. this was taken shortly after the separation. By this evening, they are all cruising relaxed, checking each other out through the egg crate. and eating a little, though not much yet....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLEddi2xyc

and a couple hours later, after the tank light went out, I checked to see how they were doing and somehow all the little ABDs and the Flamingo had joined their favourite bully on one side of the egg crate. Hpow, I do not know. But they had voiced their collective opinions, so I removed it...
    Last edited by judy; 12-07-2011 at 11:19 PM.
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies

Default Re: my new albino blue diamond throwbacks-- and more.

It's funny how you think you are doing your best for them...Just don't let them come crying to you when it all goes wrong and one of them gets injured!

Registered Member

yeah, i know-- its all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out! I have been watching them. The bullying has abated; may just have been an initial contact thing. They will only eat when the tank lights are out and it is dim in the room. I expect that will change as they get more comfortable in new surroundings and I don't pamper them too much. If I wanna read beside the tank, I will! This is the first bunch of juvies I have raised that came from discus farm conditions and are skittish. The babies I normally raise from my own spawns have no fear at all, ever-- except of the net. It's a different experience for sure.
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital

Ha ha Judy that's it, show 'em who's boss...They'll be ok when they've settled into YOUR routine

Just a pecking order, they really don't harm each other, they'll be OK.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

Registered Member

They've settled in nicely now. Yesterday the tank light was turned on and they adjusted well. This morning, they came up to my fingers to grab at the bloodworm. I put one of my smaller juvies from the DT in with them on their second day. I wanted to make the number six, and since he's about the same size as the millennium gold, which was bigger than everyone else,equalize the aggression a bit better. And I wanted to check for cross-contaminating pathogens (a little soon, I know, but better to know it and treat whatever might be needed than to wait and still have to treat, I figured...) So far, so good.