AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank insulation... a money saver!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Tank insulation... a money saver!

Just thought I'd share an idea I use for insulating my tanks.

The product is called Reflectix and can be found at several home improvement stores. It's thin (about 1/4&quot and resembles a sheet of bubble-wrap that has been laminated with reflective foil. It comes in widths from 16" to 48" and is 25' long. It appears to be a little expensive at first (about $16 for a 16" x 25' roll), but the energy savings is huge!

First off, I was using 300w glass heaters in my 55's just to maintain 82-84 degrees in the winter time (yes, I like it cold in my house ;D ) and I had noticed the lights in the heater were on almost constantly, and I figured I was spending around $25 per month per tank (winter time) just to heat them. Since using Reflectix, I have reduced my 55g tanks to 100w Won titanium heaters and they cycle on and off for just a few seconds every 5 to 7 minutes. I think the energy savings this next winter will be great!

Reflectix boasts up to a 97% reflection ratio of radiated heat (tank water), so most of the heat loss is through the tank lid and through the face of the tank. The R-value is rated up to an R-19.56, the equivelent of about 3+ FEET of fiberglass insulation. So far this summer, my highest electric bill has been $37 and I'm up to 9 tanks. If you want to get real efficent, 3-M makes a product for insulating windows that is a thin/clear plastic film that can be applied to the face of your tank with a hair drier. This will make your glass tank more resemble and acryllic tank and the heat loss ratio is much less.

Below is a picture of Reflectix being applied to the tanks we put in Jack's fishroom. Sorry to borrow the pic, but I don't have a digital camera yet. To many fish on order ;D

We cut the insulation to length and use strapping tape to tape all around the insulation to make an air-tight seal. This is the only way this insulation will be effective.

Hope this provides some ideas on cost-effectiveness.

Brian

Registered Member

Default Re:Tank insulation... a money saver!

I have been hoping someone would post about this, my electric for my heating my tanks cost me about $100-$150 month, this might just drop that to less than half (hopefully).
    Great idea Brian, thanx a huge bunch ($)

Lets see savings of $50-$75/mo for about 5 months, about $250-$275 thats a nice order of discus by spring, just what I need to jump start some of my breeding dreams/plans . . .

I'll let you know how I make out with this insulation this winter.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and University Discus_KC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jack

Thanks Brian for the idea in the first place. ;D ;D

You can use pics anytime you want ! I had a flashback for a sec.

It is worth every penny.

Jack

Real Name
    Brian

You've come a long way since that photo was taken! 8)

Registered Member

Good thread Jeeper.

Glad to see you helping the section too

Registered Member

I use the same type of insulation, it works well. One question though... How do you attach the insulation at the vertical seams where the sides meet the front glass? Do you wrap the insulation and/or tape partially around to the front of the tank? I have tried to just tape to the sides of the tank, but the tape just sticks to the paint. Eventually the tape and paint peel off the tank. The tank below was only insulated about a week ago. The top corner is already coming undone.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Denny

Brandy, When I attach mine, I use strapping tape. The kind you use for reinforcing shipping boxes. It seems to last longer than most other tapes and will not stretch out of shape.

When I attach the insulation to the tank, I actually stick the tape on the face of the tank first (in about the thickness of the glass/seam (1/4"?)) and the attach the insulation to the tape. Then I lay the tank on end and pull it tight all around to the other end. Then I cut the insulation, apply the tape to the other front seam, tuck the insulation under the tape and press it all tight. As long as you don't apply the tape further than the thickness of the glass seam, it'll be nearly invisible. Then I tape all the way around the tank on all seams. If the insulation is not wide enough to cover the entire tank, just cut a strip wide enough and splice it in. It doesn't have to be one piece, it just has to be air tight.

Does this make sense?

Registered Member

Okay, thanks for the help! When you say strapping tape do you mean the clear stuff with white fibers running through it?

Real Name
    Brian

Yes, it's only about 1" wide.

Registered Member

Jeep, great idea. What part of the store would you find this product, insulation, duct work, etc? I went to a local Home Depot here in Michigan and they did not know what I was talking about. I will have to try Lowes and some other places. Thanks for the idea.

Real Name
    Brian

Try the insulation department at Lowes. HD doesn't have it in my area

Registered Member

Jeep, Went to a different Home Depot in my area and they had the stuff, 16" X 25' for $14.89. Thanks again.

.....was thinking of doing my tanks before this winter too.
    just used this stuff over the summer helping a friend build a wine room at his house in Florida.....Worked Great and easy to use. Found it at Lowes.
    I use a clear packing tape for my backgrounds.....never peels so it should be perfect for this as well.

Registered Member

Reflectic makes a tape to go with their product. Somewhat pricey though. I used it on one of my tanks and it worked well. I do not know how easy it will be to remove if I ever have to and do noe want to find out anytime soon.

Registered Member

is the reflective foil on both side or just one side?

thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast