AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: >>>BREEDING EMERGENCY <<<

Registered Member

Default Re:>>>BREEDING EMERGENCY <<<

Tank setup:

Sponge filter from community tank (on which they originally laid their eggs)
    Flower pots for breeding surface
    Heater
    Barebottom Acrylic 20 gallon tank (brown paper on underside of tank makes it look like there&#039;s sand in the tank, but there isn&#039;t any)

Forever Friends

Hi, nice pair.

I&#039;d plug the hole in the top of the clay pot with filter floss or a little piece of a sponge so food doesn&#039;t settle in there.

Barb

Hi,
    Mine did the same thing for a couple days. The tank that you removed them from does it have a substrate or is it bare bottom?
    Mine were in a tank with substrate (and a few plants) and hated the new tank because it was BB with nothing in it. They were swimming into the glass and trying to jump out. What I did to calm them down was to place some plants into small pots and place them inside the tank. They then made the tank thier home. You can see my BB tank under the thread &quot;breeding in a 55 gallon tank&quot; it&#039;s on the next to last page. My pair still do not each much which is common when they are spawning. What they don&#039;t eat is removed next morning, My discus will not eat beefheart at all no matter how hard I try, it just sits there so I feed pellets, flakes and CBW (spawning pair only get live worms before eggs are laid). Give them a few days and try giving them something they are use to as well, it worked for me.

Here is a pic of my BB tank. On the left you can see the 3 small plants I put in the pots. They seem happy now
    Sorry it&#039;s dark I didn&#039;t want to scare them with the flash.

Registered Member

Thank you Hexed for the advice. This morning we put a small piece of driftwood that was in the community tank into the breeding tank. They seem to be more comfortable already. It is the same piece of driftwood that was in front of the sponge filter on which they had lain their eggs.

We&#039;re still looking for a reasonably priced 29+ gallon tank for the two of them. We aren&#039;t fans of this acrylic tank because of the awkward opening at the top through which we access the tank, or the distortion caused by the curved surface of the tank in a few spot that must bother the fish as much as it bothers us!!

We&#039;ll be buying some worms tonight for them. They still haven&#039;t eaten anything since Saturday. We&#039;ll keep you updated.

Breezygrove

Maybe this can help.
    My petsmart does price matching on any item they sell. Check online for 29 gallon tanks and if you find a reasonable priced one, print it out and bring it to a Petsmart near you. I found a great price at www.elmersaquarium.com You should be able to purchase one from petsmart for the same price. That&#039;s how I got my 150 gallon tank ;D
    Petco does not do any price matching

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12