AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My Experience with PP

Registered Member

Default My Experience with PP

I am not not sure if my fish had gill flukes or a bacterial issue but I have been battling it for quite some time now. I tried formalin with no positive results. Salt was the only thing that helped but once I stopped the salt the problem returned. I recently read a post about potassium permanganate on this forum so I gave it a try. The fish have never looked better since thier treatment last weekend. Here's what I did.
    I figured out exactly how much wter was in my tank first. Then I filled an empty water bottle with 400 ml of distilled water. I added 1/8 of a teaspoon of PP to the 400 ml of distilled water creating a stock solution. I then added 4ml of stock solution to each gallon of tank water, in my case I had 39 gal of water in my tank to which I added 156 ml of stock solution. The tank turned purple and stayed like that for about an hour when the water started to lose the purple color so I added 10 more ml to get the color back. I wound up adding a TOTAL of 200 ml of stock solution to keep the water purple. After four hours the water turned from purple to tan. I did a small water change, about 10%. The next day I did another treatment adding 200 ml of stock solution. The tank stayed purple for 5 hours when I added hydrogen peroxide, 4 capfuls, to the tank to neutralize the pp. I did a bigger water change and like I said earlier am very happy with the results. My fish range in size from 3 6 inches and I did not notice at any time the fish being stessed out. I would definately advise keeping the hydrogen peroxiide at the ready to neutralize the pp in case the fish show any signs of stress.

Default Re:My Experience with PP

That's great. 35% Hydrogen Peroxide will do the same thing and you don't need a stock solution. You can add directly to the tank.

Jeff,

Where do you get the HP at 35%? I have heard this before but can seem to only find the normal stuff.

Angela

This is the best price I have found, but it is also sold on EBay if you want that.

http://www.h2o2-4u.com/price.html

Forever Friends

Hi dmacc. If you left your sponges in through the treatment, increase w/c's and watch for ammonia.

Barb

Registered Member

I would also request at what dosage you would use the 35% HP, Jeff? Frank

Dosage is something I still play with. Currently I use 1 teaspoon (5ml) per 75 gallons. You can go heavier. Not a lot but you can. This is for a 24 hour bath. For a 1hr bath I'm still working out those numbers.

I remember talking to the guys from Oregon State Univ. and they said they run 50-100 ppm.

I'm in contact with a guy now who has a grant to work with HP and I will be trying some dosages he recomends when I get time.

At the very least the 5ml per 75 is safe for discus and a good place to start. I do that with 7.5 ph temp 84 and 700 ms. Usually 3-5 days does them well.

Some food for thought:

http://midwest.fws.gov/ashland/mtan/mtan_36.html

Registered Member

dmacch

Just out of curiousity...what were your original symptoms?

Thanks

Keith

Registered Member

Gill clamped on one side, extremely skittish and at times scratching themselves on the sponge filter.