AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: White spots on tail

Default White spots on tail

I've been adding 1tbsp salt P/10gl water for about a week now to treat one of my fish for 2 white spots on its tail. It's really more like little bits of white matter stuck to the tailfin. I can see where they are slightly raised on one side and are right on the tiny bones in the clear part of fin. They are small, about the size of small TetraBits, and aren't getting any better or worse. All other fish are doing great. So... I,m wondering if I should continue, stop or increase salt. I'm sure you'r thinking "all this for two white spots?" but since I am inexperienced I'd rather ask questions unnescesarily than miss something I could have easily fixed. Thanks for your patience, P.S. you know what a great way to avoid over filling your tank during WC's is? DONT START TYPEING AWAY ABOUT YOR SICK FISH DURING REFILLS!!! Got to go clean up some H2o

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: White spots on tail

I think they are bacteria plaques and come and go. Some discus are more prone that others - you will see the same fish get these over and over.

Registered Member

I have the same problem, I got a Blue Diamond bout 3-4 months ago and he/she had it on the tail. Medicated and got rid of it, but it still comes back once in a while :-\

Redestwing, do you medicate each time it shows up or does it just come and go on it's own? I didn,t really find out if I should keep up the salt till its gone or just leave it alone. Kacey

Registered Member

Same thing on my blue colored fish - just comes and goes? No problems with behavior.

Registered Member

Comes and goes on its own ... no point in medicating it when it goes away within 2-3 days. I used to medicate it until I seen it had no affect :-\