ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got back from PERU!

Registered Member

Default Re:Just got back from PERU!

Congradulations Dan. A trip of a lifetime.....
    BTW how are the fish you caught doing??????????
    Smokey
    [waiting for more]

Welcome back, Dan!! Nice trip. And I can't wait to see yours and Alberto's photos.

**Angie**

Registered Member

wow~
    what a amazing trip...thanks Daniel,
    I will be there someday.....

Registered Member

Any fish that were caught on this trip are still in Peru in a holding/quarantine location. No fish are ever sent without first going through this process. It allows the fish to recover from the stress of capture, etc. Its a long plane ride to the US so the fish need conditioning first. Furhtermore, the fish are also held in quarantine for quite some time (weeks) once they arrive in the US before they are available for sale and/or distribution to hobbiests etc.

I should warn people planning to take this trip that it is NOT a picnic. Be prepared for long stretches (days) without proper sleep. Discus collecting is done at night (ALL NIGHT) and other activities are carried out during the day. The intense heat of the Amazon makes sleeping difficult if not impossible. Anyone in reasonable physical condition can easily make the trip however. I was surprised at the lack of bugs and biting insects on the trip, but I am told this was unusual. Normally there are a lot more. I recall only two individuals (not me Phew!) who received nasty bites form little wasps while we were on the boat. Judging by the swelling on the unfortunate victims' skin, it was no minor bite!

If you plan to go, make sure you look into immunizations and medications MONTHS before you plan to travel. You will have to be prepared for yellow fever vaccine, typhoid medication, Malaria pills, tetanus vaccine etc etc. any of which could make you sick so you want to make sure you know the effects of any particular drug has on you, long before you travel to Peru.

I don't think anyone on this trip was the least bit ill other than a cold or two but nothing major. So the trip is easily done but you have to be prepared.

If anyone has any question, I would be happy to answer as best I can, by IM or whatever.

Daniel

PS. If you are adventurous you might decide to make the extra effort to go to the ancient Inca fortress of Machu Picchu. I did, it was thoroughly exhausting, but I would not have missed it for anything! Here's a pix I just had developed to show you what is possible to visit while in Peru.

Registered Member

another view

Registered Member

one more for now

Registered Member

AND...if you go through Miami on your way to Peru you might want to do some fishing there as well. This is me yesterday. ;D

65 lb sailfish, my first.

This is AWESOME Dan!!!!

keep the pics comming! the pyramids too!

Registered Member

Dan,
    I agree, Keep the pictures coming....Love the Black and white photography...Your very good at what you do!

regards,
    Tad

Dan,

Those Macchu Picchu pictures are AWESOME!! It is really hard to believe how and where the Incas got those big rocks to build such a fortress when those rocks could not be found any place near the highlands. There are many theories trying to explain this but wherever these rocks come from, this archeological site is simply AMAZING!! Please don’t forget to send us the link of the album with all your pictures (Cuzco and Iquitos) once you have them ready. We love black and white photography too!!

I was looking through the pictures we took in the boat and I found one with you trying to see how Brujo could see a sleepy discus in the darkness! Keep looking, keep looking!!!

Alberto

Gosh Dan, I hope that sailfish was a catch and release..Or is back home in a tank 8) 8) 8) 8) Nice Pics..........................Jim

i can only imagine what an experience that was for you, congrats.

this might sound stupid but while you were there
    did you happen to do any tests on the water?

Dan,

Thanks so much for posting the pics! You guys obviously had a great trip!

Your pictures instantly brought me back to my trip to Central America. Studying the Mayan and similar cultures is amazing...these people were once the rulers of most of our planet!

The pictures of Macchu Picchu reminded me of treking through the jungle and climbing places such as Xunantunich and Tikal...incredible views and wildlife everywhere you turn!

Howie

Dan,

Great pics!! What a terrific opportunity! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Judi

Registered Member

awesome pics, thanks again for sharing

regards.... Brenda

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast