ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help fry not attaching?

Default Help fry not attaching?

Got a pair of red snakes that I've have for a while. Successful on the first try and I'm now raising a few 2 mths old. But since then seems like the babies can't find mom and dad. They just swim aimlessly around the tank till the finally die. Mom tries to herd them with no luck. I had a great spawn this time, just to watch them waste away. Paramaters of tank same as always.

Any help appreciated, Dave

Registered Member

Default Re: Help fry not attaching?

try reducing the aeration in the tank and lowering the water level as low as you can with any filter still being able to work properly (but no lower than the top of the adults dorsal fins). Also, try lighting only one side of the tank and having the other side in darkness. These are just some tips that have worked for me for problematic fry attatchment.

-Ryan

Thx Ryan,
    Dave

these are the tricks i know, once they are free swimming or just before....

lower water level 50%
    shut down the sponge just after they start to swim.
    if they have been going to the sponge, either take it out or cover with white nylons.
    leave dim lights on 24/7, no changes in lighting

watch ph closely, if ph starts to drop do a water change, i used to drip fresh water in so the change was slow.
    you'll have to kick in the filter once the ph starts falling.

thats all i can think of now.

mike

Forever Friends

Hi, same as Ryan and Mike. If they spawned on a pot, remove it. Make the tank as bare as possible. I found an 18" flourescent kitchen light over the tank helped. When I turn the light off, they scatter... on they head for the parents.

Barb

Thx all, how long can I leave the sponge out without destroying good bateria?
    They are in 30 gal tank, is lowering the water enough or do I need to divide the 30 to push them even closer.

Dave

Forever Friends

Hi David, I never take the sponge out. If it is a hydrosponge, I cover it with a white nylon stocking and clamp the airline so that the bubbles are very light. When I'm going to be around, I shut the air off completely for 1/2 hour - 1 hour, no longer.

Barb

whats the ph at in the tank? i have read that some people are having problems with snakes fry attaching at ph of 8.

Registered Member

Hi David,

Are you using Maroxy? A while back there was a discussion of use of Maroxy causing difficulties in fry attachment. I use Maroxy myself sucessfully but I try to to wc after the eggs hatch (but before they go free swimming) to try to reduce its amounts. I do 2x25% wc per day for the days in between hatching and free swimming and this seems to help.

How are the lep ss fry doing?

Pat

if you have to take the sponge out you must put it in another tank to get it going. the tank can stand alone without filtration for 1-3 days depending on bioload, how clean the tank is, and your water perameters. you'll know when to put it back in by the ph. when the ph starts dropping you have to add some fresh water and the filter..

the filter must remain in a seperate tank to keep the bacteria alive with air moving through it!!

i wouldn't go this route unless you have to, it's a last resort effort, if you screw it up you could loose your pair!!! you must check ph at least every 6-8 hrs, more often as time goes by to avoid a nasty ph crash.

be careful

mike

Great info guys thx for the all the help.
    Yes Pat have been using maroxy but have also been keeping up water changes. Maybe I'll stop the maroxy and use acriflavin, anyone know the dosage. Don't want to kill the bio.
    Babies did great, I sold a most to a local doc and kept a dozen for myself. Just like to see what they grow into. Looks like only one rt rest are snakes!
    Thx to all Dave

i would definitely stop the maroxy...

why are you using it? have you had fungus problems??
    if so i'd suggest a complete tear down cleaning of the tank and start fresh, usually it's from high bacteria levels...

do you feed them beefheart?? i wouldn't in a breeder tank, only cbw's, no fungus problems...

this is how i would tackle your attachment issues..

Registered Member

Hi Everyone

I had a lot of experince with my light color pigeon bloods as White butterfly. Tangerine s, sunrise yellows, etc. the fry are hard time to attrach to the parents. Sometime fry know where is the parents.

Here is great Tips

1) lower water level
    2) put white airstone and flow slow , do not heavey air bubbles.
    3) take out sponge filters
    4) take out any dark objects.
    5) more hard water than breed water level.
    6) paint light color as light blue or light green whatever you want color on your tank. backround and both sides. Also paint white on bottom.
    7) do water change at 10% everyday make sure the same water level as breeding tank water.

i have no problems with those fry. My tips are better for your successful spawning.

HTH

Duncan

Registered Member

Iam having the same problem with a pair of yellow crystals. Problem is that they spawned on a flower pot. And some have left the pot and attached to the leaves of the sword. I cant really remove it because there are still more on the pot.
    I even tried attaching them too the parents by getting it onto my finger a brushing it along the side of the fish - no go.
    I think this batch will be a loss and the ill have too take out the pot, Ive turned air bubbles down and lowered the water, but i dont have much hope with the pot and plant still in the tank.

Forever Friends

Hi Duncan, great tips! thanks

Hi Flukes, leave the pot in until they're all freeswimming all over the place. Then all you have to do is move it a little and they'll swim away. It sounds like they're still getting stuck to things, give them a little more time.

Barb