ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Altum Angels anyone....

Default Re: Altum Angels anyone....

Quote Originally Posted by raglanroad
    Hi, Moon! The Brampton Aquarium Club in Brampton, Ontario, Canada- not too far from you !! You will also find Bob Wilson ( North American Discus Society) at that club, Discus man since the 50's ! So at the last presentation, we had Frank Aguirre, Jim Robinson, and Bob Wilson together in one club ! Frank Aguirre was booked for a presentation at the Hamilton club You might check if it has already happened or not. don't know. Dave
    Dave thanks for the info.
    Ah yes Bob Wilson and Jim Robinson are old friends of mine. I was one of the original group of guys to form NADS with Bob, vern and Lionel. I did keep and breed discus some 20 years ago. Gave it up and now back at it. I did catch Franks presentation on Plecos at the Hamilton club. It was very good. He told me that he had a similar presentation on Altums and looking forward to seeing it.
    Joe

Hi, Moon ! Wow! We should call this the Golden Triangle of heavy-hitters in the fish world ! Glad to hear from you! So as a relative beginner, I guess I fell into the right company ! Dave

Quote Originally Posted by raglanroad
    Hi, Moon ! Wow! We should call this the Golden Triangle of heavy-hitters in the fish world ! Glad to hear from you! So as a relative beginner, I guess I fell into the right company ! Dave
    Hi Dave
    You certainly did. I'll drop in at the next Brampton meeting and hopefully meet up with you.
    Joe

Joe,
    Since it is difficult for me to get to Brampton, I have only been there twice. Once for the auction, at which Jim carried the deal for about 6 hrs, rattling off latin names and determining sex of the fish at a glance. I had missed his Brampton club presentation called, I think, "Those Tough to Breed Species".
    The other time was for Frank's presentation. Looking forward to the pleco and stingray presentations too. Frank will be at the Toronto Willowdale club for the plecos presentation in May I think.
    Speaking of Altums, Al has given Altum buyers in the U.S. some of the best condition Altums going. When someone asks where to get em, Numero Uno suggestion is ask Al.( I started the Altum Breeders' Club even before I got my fish , so sometimes people ask)
    North of the border, I got my fish Altums from Dale Jordan, probably another person you know.
    Anyhow, one way or another, we will meet up, I hope !
    Dave
    Last edited by raglanroad; 03-15-2005 at 10:27 PM.

Dave
    As a matter of fact I am looking for Altums. I don't think Al ships across the border. I've heard of Dale Jordan but have not met him. Oliver (Below Water) brings in Altums sometimes but he is out of them now.
    Joe

Joe,
    They were on sale for 16 each for 10 at Christmas, and a group buy for us went down the tubes when Big Al's ( a chain store in Canada) snapped up the lot, not to mention everyone else doing the same. They were up to 6" or more tip to tip. I saw most of them in trouble at the various outlets, except for Franks outlet in Brampton. Frank may still have some , at the store , or at home. Best bet.
    Also, we have a buddy who you may already know who can get them in Toronto near the airport for $17, but we have to wait until he hears from them again, as they were also sold out. Perhaps they just buy in quantity from Oliver, don't know. Oliver carries up to 3,000 in Montreal, and another 8,000 in S.A., at times. But when I try to buy, they disappear. Phooey.
    Dale doen't usually carry them for sale, don't think, he just did me a favour by helping me get started. He is an early breeder of the Heckel, and is featured in Jack Wattleys book where Jack interviews some of the greats.
    Will let you know if I find out anything.Why not phone Brampton B.A? Just ask for Frank in the fishroom. Or I can give you his number and e-mail addy. They won't be Oliver's sale price, though!( Oliver may be out of juvies for the year, don't know) One extra place is Scarborough P. J.'s outlet. John there can keep them alive too. Price goes from $30 to 3 for $75 on Wednesdays. But Al The Brewmaster seems to give the fish an extra good conditioning. Pity; only in America, eh? Did Al give his Altum conditioning formula anywhere around here?
    Dave
    Last edited by raglanroad; 03-16-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Dave
    Thanks for the info. I am setting up a 70g tank for Altums. Frank has some at his store in Brampton. I will check it out this weekend. He wants $30 each and has only 6 left.
    Joe

Registered Member

Interesting thread!

I am craving for altums now....

Pam

Hi Dave,
    Speaking of Altums, Al has given Altum buyers in the U.S. some of the best condition Altums going. When someone asks where to get em, Numero Uno suggestion is ask Al.(
    Didn't realize that but I am glad everyone like the ones I sent them. I try

But Al The Brewmaster seems to give the fish an extra good conditioning. Pity; only in America, eh? Did Al give his Altum conditioning formula anywhere around here?
    Its a very proprietary recipe Dave... One that I have spent 15 years developing... Well okay that my discus conditioning procedure.... but since you asked... Its the same. I treat the Altums exactly like they were discus. thats it in a nutshell. Angels have a reputation of being more forgiving of water quality than discus. Altums being Angels are often treated like angels. To me they are more like discus in their needs. They are to angelfish what heckels are to discus.

take care,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15
    Hi Dave, I treat the Altums exactly like they were discus. thats it in a nutshell. Angels have a reputation of being more forgiving of water quality than discus. Altums being Angels are often treated like angels. To me they are more like discus in their needs. They are to angelfish what heckels are to discus.

take care,
    al
    Al, that is exactly where I started out with Altums, realizing that good Discus keepers were having success , even breeding the Altum.
    Dave

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234