AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What do you think?

Default What do you think?

I have four tanks going. 2 breeder pair doing fine. One 50 with 6 discus all fine. The third is giving me hell. All pararmenters are normal. It's a 50 gal with 6 juveniles they continue to get sick. Systems are mainly clamped gills. I've tried furan 2 for four days combined with salt. They seem to get better then clamp again. Treated with a mix of salt and formaldehyde. Got a little better then sick again. Now trying 1 tablespoon per gal salt and formaldehyle 3 drops per gal.
    How long can I continue to treat? What do you think this is?
    50% water changes daily and good general house keeping. Wipe downs etc.

Any thoughts, thx Dave

Registered Member

Default Re:What do you think?

Hi David,
    Sorry to hear! My best guess is Your dealing with a external bacteria infection. Any treatment You decide to use should be carried out for 8 to 10 days not 4.

Anyways I think the salt treatment will work well but again a minimum of 10 days no more no less. I would also use some type of dye mixed with Your salt treatment something like M-blue or acrflavin. another good choice would be maroxy IME.

Well keep Us posted and good luck
    takecare
    Cary Gld!

Thx Cary, I'll give it a try.

Banned

I also think a longer treatment with an antibiotic would be better. I do not believe in using salt for extended periods of time. I would dip the fish in a strong salt bath then place back into a salt free medicated tank. Malachite green is another dye option I like to use. A neomyacin/sulfa compound proved to be very effective for me too over the years.

Thx shinshin