ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Emergency-need an answer quick!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Default Emergency-need an answer quick!

can someone please tell me the different symptoms between INTERNAL BACTERIAL INFECTION and INTERNAL PARASITES? I have lost 2 tanks of discus within the last week and any quick answer will be greatly appreciated.

symptoms: fish were fine for like a year and suddenly upon feeding tubifex worms (stupid me) and doing large water change, the fins became clamped and respration became abnormal. Also, fish started to lose balance and some have become bloated. During the last stage white slime also appeared all over the body and they die within 30 hrs! (with very, very bloated belly)

Now another tank that's also been fed tubifex worms appear to have the same early symptoms (not bloated, but breathing SUPER fast & hard, losing balance, a lot of white slime on body and clamped fins). Need to save them ASAP.

medicine used: Epson salt, Kanamycin, Furan_2, Maroxy, Quickcure. Nothing seemed to have helped...they don't even respond much to anything now. BTW, can I use Kanamycin/Furan_2 with Quickcure at the same time?

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 11-11-2004 at 11:44 PM.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: Emergency-need an answer quick!

Don't mix all those meds together.

I am not sure what your fish have, but it sounds like internal bacteria with the bloating and rapid deaths.

What fish do you have left. What are their symptoms. Waht meds and treatment have you used on the survivors?

I have 6 one year old PB and Virgin red left.

Now their symptoms are: rapid breathing (fast, heavy and like they are choking), clamped fins and a little lost of balance. Some also have produced white, cotton-like spots on the head area.

mecidine currently in that tank: Kanamycin (double dose), epson salt (2 teaspoon/10 gallon) and Maroxy. I did try the furan_2 and quickcure prior to the current treatment but it didn't save the other 2 tanks (used individually, not mixed).

Again, could I be treating them for internal bacterial while they have internal parasites?

Thanks again
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 11-12-2004 at 12:17 AM.

OK here's the pictures of the current survivors: See the small white spots around the head? Could it be Velvet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 11-12-2004 at 01:46 AM.

here's another pic showing slime hanging onto the fins:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Exclamation Re: Emergency-need an answer quick!

Make sure your water parameters are good and filter is clean.

Make sure you haven't converted ammonium with PH levels below 7 to the toxic ammonia with PH levels above 7, via water change or ph bounce.

Raise temp to 92F for ick and something for fungus.

Extra air/surface air movement.

Epsom Salt 2-3 tbls per 5 gal.

Internals most likely have parasites (tubliflex).

Looks like they might have Ick and a secondary fugus infection, no telling whats going on inside...what does the poop look like?

MPO: If you must feed live foods, ONLY brine shrimp and never feed live tubliflex.
    Last edited by Gold Nugget; 11-14-2004 at 04:05 AM.