ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: PraziPro dosage

Registered Member

Default PraziPro dosage

I bought some PraziPro powder from Jehmco. The direction come with the ProziPro is: 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. This will give a concentration of 2.5mg/L of the active ingredient in treated water. I did some calculations and found that it would be converted it to about 95mg per 10 gallons of the active ingreadient, which is very similar to the recommended dosage from this forum - 100mg/10 gallons. However, the direction also suggests re-dose the water on a daily base with partial water change and treat for 5-7days. I read from this forum that this is not necessary. I only need to re-dose it after 7 days (with two partial water change) and continue for a total of 3 treatments. However, also also read from this forum that 2 treatments is sufficient, instead of 3. My goals is to clean all worms and gill fluke before I start breeding my discus. Here are my questions:

1. Should I follow the treatment suggested in this forum (2 or 3 treatments total, 7 days apart, partial water change after 48 hours) instead of the direction come with the Prazi (daily re-dose for 5 to 7 days, partial water change each day).

2. If I follow the suggested treatment in this forum, do I need two treatments or 3 treatments total? All my tanks are BB.

thanks a lot.

Terry

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: PraziPro dosage

I don't know, so would follow the directions from Jehmco.

Registered Member

Thanks Carol. The PraziPro powder is made by AquaScience. The instruction is from the company. They may know very little about discus :>. It is why I am asking. Any suggestionwill be greatly appreciated.

Terry

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Shed Fluke eggs will hatch every 7 days +/-. We recommend treating three times a week apart to catch the eggs that have hatched since the last treatment. I use formalin every other day for 14 days. Stopping prazi after 5 -7 days doesn't make sense to me.

Hi,
    If you treat once a wk for 3 wks, that would be effective for tapeworm.

You need to treat every other day for 21 days for flukes.

(with prazi it doesn't degrade in water, so you only have to add back what you take out with wc's.
    I do 50% wc every other day and add back 50% prazi dose after each wc)

Carol is right you have to treat more than once a wk due to fluke eggs hatching.

hth

Registered Member

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue.
    I buy Prazi in 100 or 200 gram lots and the instructions are 5mg per litre.
    Apparently Prazi is only active in the water for 3 days.
    The reproduction of flukes is temperature dependant, the warmer the water the quicker they breed. Info I have gathered says that they can breed every 4 days in 28C + water.
    Instructions for use is use twice. I use it 4 times. All treatments are the same. Add Prazi leave in for 2 days ( if water changes must be made prazi added as to the amount of water changed ), 4 days later repeat. I do this 4 time.

Geoff