ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What is wrong ?

Registered Member

Default What is wrong ?

One of marlboro red is not eating as much as the other and it's only eating frozen BW where before it will eat anything that is thrown into the tanks, the colour has turn a bit pale, not like the other marlboro red that I have in the tanks. It is not passing any white feces.

I have taken it out and put it into another aquarium and now I'm treating it with Metro (250 mg per 10 gallon) and also with salt, and also feeding it very lightly (2 times a day, 1/2 cube of frozen BW). Is this ok, or should I do anything else now ?

Thanks

Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: What is wrong ?

Nanik,

Could be this one simply developed a preference for the frozen BW. Just like people, some will eat a wide variety of food while some will only eat particular things.

hopefully that's all it is

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo
    Nanik,

Could be this one simply developed a preference for the frozen BW. Just like people, some will eat a wide variety of food while some will only eat particular things.

hopefully that's all it is

Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm not so sure because before the fish was eating tetra bits without any problem, and the one thing that concerns me is that it is not eating that much, not as much as before and to top it off the colour is a bit pale compare to the other marlboro red in the aquarium.

What could be the problem ?

Hi nanik,
    Hex is a potential and metro may be the treatment but it could also be worms. I might lean more to this one as the fish hasn't passed any off colored feces. Have you tried raising the temp? maybe bring the temp up to 90 and see if it helps.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15
    Hi nanik,
    Hex is a potential and metro may be the treatment but it could also be worms. I might lean more to this one as the fish hasn't passed any off colored feces. Have you tried raising the temp? maybe bring the temp up to 90 and see if it helps.

hth,
    al

Hi Al,

The water temperature is bettern 30-33 everyday so I'm not using heater or anything. So how long should I use metro for ? I'm changing 50% of the water daily and also using salt for 0.1%, please tell me whether I'm doing the right thing ?

Thanks

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I dose metro at 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons each day after a 50% water change. Temperature 92+ for 5 days. Keep temp elevated for a week after Treatment ends, then slowly lower a degree or two per day. Not sure hex is the problem, but since you've started treatment might as well finish and do it right.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carol_Roberts
    I dose metro at 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons each day after a 50% water change. Temperature 92+ for 5 days. Keep temp elevated for a week after Treatment ends, then slowly lower a degree or two per day. Not sure hex is the problem, but since you've started treatment might as well finish and do it right.
    I will follow the recommendation you give. Will start 500mg per 10 gallon starting tommorrow, today I'm done with the water change and added 500mg of metro (250mg per 10 gallon) and to be on the safe side added a heater and set it to 32C and also added salt in it.

I notice that the pectoral fin are a bit tore, not sure what happened , but I will salt to try to heal it, is this ok ?

I'm uploading the picture of the sick discus

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Another thing - Should I stop feeding the discus or continue feeding during medication ?

Registered Member

The attached picture is the other marlboro red that is in the aquarium. The colour of the sick discus is very light compare to the one in the aquarium as you can see and compare
    Attached Images Attached Images

Usually with hex they do not eat. I offer treat foods like blood worms a couple of times per day. If yours are eating (which they obviously are by the pictures) feed them. Did you try epsom salt @ 1 or 2 teaspoons per 10 gallons? Maybe your fish is just constipated?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carol_Roberts
    Usually with hex they do not eat. I offer treat foods like blood worms a couple of times per day. If yours are eating (which they obviously are by the pictures) feed them. Did you try epsom salt @ 1 or 2 teaspoons per 10 gallons? Maybe your fish is just constipated?
    Hi Carol,

I did used salt (not epsom salt) and it's not improving. Once or twice a day I throw in probably 1/4 of a cube into the container where the fish is in, but I notice that it takes probably 4-5 hrs before I see half of what I've put in is eaten. I will do the treatment for 5 days and will see the outcome.

Thanks

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is different from regular salt. eposom salt works as a laxitive. Buy some to have on hand. don't let food sit in the tank for 5 hours. Feed smaller amounts more frequently.