AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Was at Fairy Lake Discus in SF today

Default Was at Fairy Lake Discus in SF today

Saw a couple tanks with a bunch of small juvi's. One tank had about 7-10 small 2-2.5 inch dark turquoise Discus. The other tank had about 5-7 3-3.5 inch striated red Discus. I'm considering getting 8-10 small Discus in about a month or so after my sponge filters cycle and can be placed in the tank. I'm not sure about getting them from Fairy Lake as it is always difficult to communicate with Herman and can never seem to get straight answers from him.

What do you all recommend for stocking and would you suggest buying from FLD or possibly buying online? Also, is it ok to mix Discus of 2 inches and 3 inches together in a community tank?

Thanks,
    Michael

Registered Member

Default Re: Was at Fairy Lake Discus in SF today

I thought Herman was out of the discus business,glad to hear he is still in it.Yes he has nice fish..I think there are lots of fish folks around your area.
    As for mixing 2 and 3 in fish together,it is fine...As for the stocking question,well that would depend on the size of the tank you are setting up..with out knowing the size it is hard to give you info as to how many to put into it.
    Good luck

Mench

Real Name
    Brian

I wouldn't hesistate to buy from Herman. Although he may not be a great communicator, he's been around for a long time and knows his discus...

The tank that the new Discus will be kept is my 75g. I'll most likely head back out there this weeekend.

Registered Member

Hey Michael,

You may want to get in touch with Cliff. He's a memer on this board, just do a member search for Cliff, or you can see his web page at www.cliffsdiscus.com. He's in the SF area and has tons of discus. He breeds his own fish so they are all domestic.

I'm getting pretty close to buy another bunch of discus from Cliff. I've got to finish up cleaning my garage to set up a few more tanks.

Nothing against Herman though. I've got a fish from him also.

What part of SF are you in? I'm in South San Francisco.

Ray

Hmm, Cliff's website looks very interesting and everything is listed very clearly. I'll have to give him a call! Thanks!!

Michael

Registered Member

With a 75 gal bare bottom,you can have 7 or 8 adult fish in there,more if they are smaller,providing of course you keep up on the water changes,

Mench