AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'New Life Spectrum' anybody?

Banned

Default Re: 'New Life Spectrum' anybody?

Ryan - Bloat will not be a concern with NLS. (unless you overfeed by MASSIVE amounts) Myself & many others feed NLS exclusively to Tropheus (a species notorious for bloat), and I have yet to hear any bloat stories connected to NLS. BTW - the most cost effective way to buy NLS is in the 5lb buckets, even if you have to split a bucket with a friend or two.

Evan - just curious, did you try my pre-soaking method posted above when introducing it to your adult Discus? Do your adults take it in, then spit it out, or simply refuse to eat it? Sometimes it can be difficult to switch an adult over to a sinking pellet, if they've been raised on frozen & flake foods.
    Last edited by RD.; 06-20-2005 at 09:54 PM.

I looked into the 5lb. buckets of NLS and it seems that www.petsolutions.com sells them for about 52 bucks. This seemed pretty reasonable to me. What do you think Neil?

Also, does your business ship to the states? If not, do you know of any reputable dealers in the U.S. that may have better prices than petsolutions?

thanks
    -Ryan
    Seek ye the truth and the truth will set you free.

Banned

Ryan - check the shipping rates out before you order, but Ken sells the 5lb pails for $49.99 US.
    http://www.kensfish.com/fishforsale.html

In my dealings with Ken, he's been very good with timely shipping, and with customer service. The people at petsolutions are very good to deal with as well.

I can ship anywhere, but seeing as you're located in the USA, shipping will be MUCH cheaper for you if you order from a dealer based in the USA.

HTH

Thanks Neil. I order stuff from Ken a couple times a month. I didn't realize though that he sold NLS in large volume. I'll look into it.

thanks
    -Ryan
    Seek ye the truth and the truth will set you free.

Registered Member

I'm sold on the stuff, the growth formula really puts size on fry and they love it, I feed the discus formula to all my fish, even wilds will suck it up. I was sold on how even finicky fish would eat it and the colors it brings out in fish. I have a wall full of plaques from the ACA conventions to prove it. Many first place and this last year Best in Show.

Hi Neil,

Yes I did try the pre-soak. They still would not eat it. But you are right they were raised on various frozen foods, flakes and bits.

The young ones really like it though. I do feel there colour improved soon after I started feeding.

Either way I will be ordering the NLS food again.

Do you know if there will ever be larger containers of the discus mix available?

Evan

Banned

Evan - that makes sense then, sometimes some fish need to be somewhat starved before they will switch from frozen to dry pellets. I've yet to have any problems with sitching fish over to NLS, but I also don't keep Discus so your mileage may vary. To be honest, in Canada the Discus formula has been a slow mover for me so far, so I have no plans on bringing in 5lb pails at this point. The good news is I do carry the 5lb pails of the Growth formula, as well as the Cichlid formula, and both can be fed to Discus. All ingredients used in NLS are fairly identical, but the ingredient proportions are different in some of the formulas. Your Discus will do just as well on the Cichlid formula, as they will on the Discus formula.

Registered Member

Ken (Fishfarm), that's great to hear that you're feeding it to most of your fish as I'm going to be ordering my Red-Turqs from you after my plants take hold

As a dyed-in-the-wool HBH fan, it has ben hard for me to accept that I can no longer get results that I used to. I have been feeding well over 20 tsp per day into a 100 g just to get growth again like I used to. Nitrates at 30 after a very short time. Can't change the water fast enough.
    So I have been investigating NLS. For quite a while, just keep checking on the reports and the logic.
    On cichlid forum I started a thread, in the Tropheus section, wondering if we could get real info from the makers of our favourite foods. Labels are not impressive. Probably the biggest one claims low ash to support claims of high quality... and all but their spirulina food does list ash. They say for spirulina food they don't know the content!!!! crzy.
    So anyway, I had the thought, and the first to post is Pablo Tepoot, the inventor of NLS. Just check his marine tank !!!
    Wonder how many reps we can get to come forward and get down to brass tacks ? Straight shooting, no beating around the bush in the dark. Glastnost. What kind of krill? what are the "Mysis". What do "colour enhancers" consist of ?- and I want to knoiw why my HBH reformulated after getting big. Was the previous formulation not good? I thought it was super. How is the new formulation better? Why did they change ????
    Dave
    Last edited by raglanroad; 07-08-2005 at 07:22 PM.

immustim is listed at a rate higher than any of the veggies on the discus and angel flake from HBH now.... http://www.nesnobute.com/index.htm?h...s/ImmuStim.htm
    it may have some merit, but who ya gonna trust?

altumferret
    Last edited by raglanroad; 06-18-2006 at 10:52 AM.

Registered Member

immustum?? what is that? [oh, read the attachment, nevermind]

FWIW, NLS Discus shows krill meal, fish meal, wheat flour, amino acids, algae meal, soybean meal, fish oil, beta carotene, spirulina, then an assortment of other vitamins and minerals and a preservative.
    Last edited by Anonapersona; 07-09-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Registered Member

My community fish were on the community formula exclusively for at least 16 months now and their overall color and health long term have been good. I've been trying to get my wild adult Discus on it. They were eating CBW, Bloodworms and Brine shrimp prior. On day 5 now with no other food source than NLS, they won't even look at it let alone go after it. These larger Discus pellets sink way too fast also. Hopefully these guys go after it soon.

It took my discus at least a week before excepting NLS also. Now they are eating it however over time. My adults actually are more inclined than the juvs. Another note. I find that the NLS is more filling which means I can feed less amounts compared to other brands to get the same results.
    In discus limbo atm! So much to do and so little time!

Most of my juveniles will take either the NLS growth or cichlid formulae. It does seem to sink too fast, and takes on the appearance of other "dirt" in the tank. While the stuff may pack potent nutrition, even the 1mm pellet is very small, and the growth formula at .5mm is so easy for the fish to pass by. Also my water does not seem as clear as with other foods, and has somewhat of a yellow/tan tinge to it. Anyone else notice this? Am I feeding too much? Will I get an algae bloom from it?

I am just switching my juvies over to NLS and I found 7/8 are taking to it rather well. I like it better than TCB because it seems easier for them to eat, they are not spitting them out like the larger TCB pellets and then eating the smaller remains. The smaller size just seems easier to take in for them, with a lot less uneaten food waste in the tank.
    My adults love TCB and once these guys are larger I will probably switch them over to that as well.

The trick is to get the 1/8 to start eating them now.
    110gal High-Tech Planted Discus
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus Grow-Out
    55gal BBB Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast