AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'New Life Spectrum' anybody?

Banned

Question Re: 'New Life Spectrum' anybody?

I recall NLS being very low in protein content after reading the lables of various formulas a few years back. Is my recollection correct? If so, have the content values changed over this time period?

Thanks,
    Mat

Default Re: 'New Life Spectrum' anybody?

34% Protein
    5% Fat
    5% Fiber
    9% Ash
    8% Moisture

The LFS was out of the Discus and Growth formula so I am not sure what those are at.
    110gal High-Tech Planted Discus
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus Grow-Out
    55gal BBB Discus

Registered Member

SPECTRUM GROWTH FORMULA:
    This is a sinking pellet that is .35mm in size. Excellent balanced diet for fresh or salt water fish. Contains 4 all natural color enhancing ingredients!
    MAIN INGREDIENTS: Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Amino Acids, Algae Meal, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal- Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin.
    GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Protein 50% Min., Fat 9% Min., Fiber 5% Max., Ash 9% Max., Moisture 10% Max.

SPECTRUM CICHLID FORMULA:
    This is a sinking pellet that is 1.0mm in size. Excellent balanced diet for fresh or salt water fish. Contains 4 all natural color enhancing ingredients!
    MAIN INGREDIENTS: Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Amino Acids, Algae Meal, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal- Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin.
    GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Protein 34% Min., Fat 5% Min., Fiber 5% Max., Ash 9% Max., Moisture 10% Max.

SPECTRUM DISCUS FORMULA:
    This is a sinking pellet that is 1.0mm in size. Excellent balanced complete daily diet for discus. Contains 4 all natural color enhancing ingredients!
    GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Protein 35% Min., Fat 5% Min., Fiber 5% Max., Ash 9% Max., Moisture 10% Max.

Go here; http://www.kensfish.com/newlifespectrum.html

Thanks!

They didn't have that listed on their website (NLS site).
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus

Banned

Smile Re: 'New Life Spectrum' anybody?

Thank you for the info.

Mat

Day2 of NLS feedings all of them are eating it happily. The all have fat bellies filled with the NLS Cichlid Formula.
    Also after monitoring NO3 for the last 48hrs (100% NLS feeding 8x/day) I finally hit 10ppm NO3 vs. 20ppm in 24hrs after heavy feedings of BH, BS, and BW. I have noticed they do seem a lot happier with the better water quality and I am happy I can go to 1 75% WC/day vs. the 2 75% WC/day to keep NO3 low.
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus

Registered Member

I tried it, most of my discus ate it but i found the pellets very small and the had to scavenge of the bottom, if they sold it in the bigger pellet I would buy more.

Registered Member

I was never able to get my fish to eat it, after two weeks of a hunger strike I caved in and started feeding their regular diet again. Too bad because it is a healthy food. The only prepared food I have been able to get my fish to eat so far is Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 flakes. They are very large and slowly drift downward, which seems to be exactly what they are looking for because they eat it all up.

I've used the NLS brand exclusively for around a year and a half and I'm not changing it for nothing. There was clearly an improvement in color, health and water quality.
    I've used it for discus, dwarf cichlids, africans (including tropheus), catfish(including gold nuggets) and marine fishes. The ones that benefit the most seem to be African Cichlids( the difference is impressive). Although the food is of great quality, think it's most appealing characteristics is that it seems to last forever and that it's very useful for hobbyists that keep a wide range of species from freshwater and saltwater.

The way I use it is for:
    Discus- supplement with additional feeding of beefheart or bloodworms

Tropheus species-supplement with additional feedings of spirulina flakes or vegetables mixes

Marine- almost exclusively on the pellets with occasional feedings of brine shrimp(rarely needed)

Otherwise the stuff is good enough. Like Ryan said I've used this schedules to prevent the sole dependency of the product, even though I buy it by the bucket, but you never know....

BTW, for those keeping planted tanks this seems to be the food that that creates less problems and the flake version is really appreciated by tetras.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

I ordered some of the NLS 'Growth Formula' it is .35mm in size
    That is going to be some small pellets I think LOL
    Some of my african cichlids spawned so if it is too small it won't goto waste.

I want to see what they expand to after they soak for a while, I also will use it in with a BH mix to see how it does.

I decided to not exclusively feed NLS, It just seems wrong to me to only feed one type of food. What I have been doing is tossing in a pinch of the NLS and let it sit on the bottom and soak. My guys only eat it after it has soaked for about 5min and then they peck through it eagerly. Only about 4 really like it, the rest will eat it but only under protest it seems. If I stopped feeding FBW, Spiro BS, BH I am sure they would all go for it but the kings of the tank go for the 'good stuff' first. It is nice that between feedings that they clean up the NLS and are ready for their next frozen and NLS feeding in a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13
    The way I use it is for:
    Discus- supplement with additional feeding of beefheart or bloodworms
    I think that is the best way to do it, or supplement whatever the discus like with the NLS.
    There is such little difference with the Cichlid formula and the Discus formula I hardly see a point, it's all advertising I guess.
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus

Registered Member

I just bought a small jar of the Discus Formula as a test. I just bought 2.2 lbs. of Hikari Discus food so I will alternate until the Hikari is gone. If they really like it I'll start using it for adults and try the growth formula for juvi's as my only dry foods. I'll still continue feeding FBW and Wattley Frozen Discus Formula in the evenings.

Scott

Scott, wherever did you find the 2.2# size of Hikari, & are they the pellets??? Been looking & couldn't find'm...'course now I have no discus, just pleco & cories, but I would like to have it later when I get set-up.....wondering, Dottie

Registered Member

Hikari Tropical Discus at Drs. F&S.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Dissident

I think that is the best way to do it, or supplement whatever the discus like with the NLS.
    There is such little difference with the Cichlid formula and the Discus formula I hardly see a point, it's all advertising I guess.
    I've raised and seen others raise discus solely on the stuff it can be done, but its got to be boring for the animal.

Take different formulas in your hand and read the ingredients and claims. You'll quickly notice that excluding special formulas like growth and finicky eaters they basically have to formulas.
    The goldfish, cichlid and discus formulas have identical values
    So does the multi purpose and thera-A+
    Have to check it to be more precise

For me it has proven to be the best food possible, but there are others that absolutely hate it. I even know of a recognizable discus breeder that in the early stages of the food distribution claimed that it kill a lot of his fish and that for no reason would use it again. That made Pablo Teepot very mad.
    Again, I love it and will never stop using it, that does not mean I won't have other foods around, but its sure helpful only buying one food for different species of fish. I just buy the multi purpose one or the thera A+
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by sleonard
    Hikari Tropical Discus at Drs. F&S.

Scott
    Thanks Scott...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast