ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: no BS food

Registered Member

Default no BS food

Do u guys know about the "no BS fry food" from Mark Weiss.
    Have u tried it and what do u think of it?
    According to them, it would be miraculous for raising fry, but I would like to have the opinion of people who tried it before trying myself

Registered Member

Default Re: no BS food

so mike reed enterprise is not a good reference?

Grelot I tried it years ago and it's expensive and is not miraculous for raising fry in my opinion. You can get the same results with a lot of other foods at a cheaper cost to you. I also bought some frozen food from him when I first moved to Arizona and you can do better price wise.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

I tried the no bs food a few years ago and didn't like it, nor did my discus and they didn't grow as well as straight artemia.

I have been using this food ( http://www.inve.com/fish/index.asp?id=152 ) lately to supplement the brine shrimp and my discus love it. Exellent growth rate and doesn't pollute the water like some fry foods do. I use the 80/150 micron for fry still on the parents, the 200/300 for discus to 3cm then the 300/500 for discus to about 5cm.

Registered Member

Just for the record, I was once at Jack Wattley's discus place and they demonstrated this food for me. They thought it was great and it sure looked that way from the way the fry took it. Also, I recently asked Discus Hans (he runs a discus section of another forum and is a well know breeder who now works with Stendker Discus) what he feeds his fry. He says he has been using no BS for years and it works great for him. I think he was discus breeder of the year several times. Maybe somebody ought to contact Reed and get some info on this food versus others. I am considering getting into discus, which is why I am here poking around. If I ever get to breeding some, you can be sure I will try this food given who uses it and what I have read on the site about it.

Banned

Smile Re: no BS food

This food has been available for years now. I think most of the problems with this food is that it was linked to Mike Reed, who always took a beaten on the forums for his business practices and affiliation with Marc W., especially by the late Jim Quarels. Those of you who have been members of the Bufo Forum, DIP Forum, as well as Jim's Forum, well remember the days. On the recommendation of Robert Clough (Australian Discus Breeders Association) (who is now out of discus), who was a real supporter of this product, I tried it. I was amazed that the fry immediately left the backs of the parents to eat this stuff. Gabe Posada (Wattley) also told me back then that he used it successfully.

The upside to this food is that I didn't have to be bothered with live artemia hatching. The downside was the expense. Growth rates may not have been as fast either.

I neither endorse nor oppose this product. It has advantages and disadvantages. Take your pick.

Mat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    This food has been available for years now. I think most of the problems with this food is that it was linked to Mike Reed, who always took a beaten on the forums for his business practices and affiliation with Marc W., especially by the late Jim Quarels. Those of you who have been members of the Bufo Forum, DIP Forum, as well as Jim's Forum, well remember the days. On the recommendation of Robert Clough (Australian Discus Breeders Association) (who is now out of discus), who was a real supporter of this product, I tried it. I was amazed that the fry immediately left the backs of the parents to eat this stuff. Gabe Posada (Wattley) also told me back then that he used it successfully.

The upside to this food is that I didn't have to be bothered with live artemia hatching. The downside was the expense. Growth rates may not have been as fast either.

I neither endorse nor oppose this product. It has advantages and disadvantages. Take your pick.

Mat
    I know about the Quarles-Reed feud. I do not know who was right or what it really was all about. Quarles hated Weiss and Reed. But consider the fact that he (Quarles) ultimately said the NoBS product was excellent despite the fact that it was Reed's.

You mentioned Reed's business practices. Other than Quarles, I have only heard good things about him from his customers. And that includes the guy at Wattley's and Wattley himself. Where have you heard anything else? It is legally tricky saying negative things about a business in public if you cannot support them.

Banned

Smile Re: no BS food

I want to clarify that I am not the one who said Mike had suspect business practices. He took a beaten from people, JQ being the main opponent of MR, who claimed he did. That is all I am saying in the previous post. I personally had one business transaction with MR, and I had no problem. One issue that people were making is that MR's foods were not his own, that he bought bulk foods and repackaged them as his, including the No BBS. I have no knowledge of this, one way or the other.

Mat

Real Name
    Rick May

Ah a trip down memory lane, Jim Q and his battles with Mike R, those were the good old days. Every so often I stll look at the DIP website..

Banned

Talking Re: no BS food

I didn't know it still existed.

Mat

Registered Member

I raised a couple of Discus Spawns on Mike Reeds no B.S. Fry Food and it worked great.The Fry accepted the Food the First time they tried it and ate it vigorously after that,there a little over a Quarter Size Right now and it's still there favorite Food.I've ordered the no B.S. Fry Food twice,and I got good Service both times,so I really don't have anything bad to say,about him or his no B.S. Fry Food.