ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Size/age and pairing up questions

Default Size/age and pairing up questions

Looking for answers to the following:

1. Can anyone give me an idea of approximately what size a discus will be at say 3, 6, 9 and 12 months of age?

2. At about what age do discus start pairing up? In a tank of 4 discus what type of behavior would indicate they are thinking about pairing up?

Thanks.

Default Re: Size/age and pairing up questions

Discus size will always vary based upon several factors; primarily genetics and environment...this includes how much you feed, water quality, and health. For example, you could easily have a group of 12 fish all raised in the same conditions, with some growing noticably larger than others.

As with growth, Discus pair up at different ages, and some never show any interest at all. In a small group, one sign would be agresssion being shown towards all but one fish. The best way however is when you find yourself with fertilized eggs in your tank.

Howie

Registered Member

I agree with Howie_w

I had lot of experince and see my own eyes i had more than 100 discus to pair up and spawn since 1995.

females start to laid spread eggs at 9 months old size about 4 1/2" to 5" but sometime female can laid eggs stay together.

Matured females start laid eggs to stay together at 12 to 14 months old 5" to 6"

Early males can ferited at 12 months old 5" to 6"

matured males can ferited 14 to 18 months old 6" to 8"

Mature mated pairs between 12 months old to 18 months old.

But the blue diamonds start to mate pairs at 18 months old to 24 months old.

For the wild discus can mature mated pairs after 24 months old.

hth

Duncan

Ahhhh! That's the kind of stuff I was looking for-just an idea of what is normal.

Hey Duncan, can you give me any experience with pairing up behavior and when they might start that.

I know my fish are so young I have a long wait ahead of me, but I am very interested in discus behavior. I find it very interesting.

Thanks,

Kristen

P.S. How are those Ram fry doing? Is mama handling it ok on her own? Mine spawned AGAIN Sunday but ate the eggs as usual.

Registered Member

Hi Kristen,

I am sorry about ur rams ate the eggs. when they will spawn again for you. you need take out the eggs and you can grow them out by yourself.

Yes the babies are live with mother, they are doing well. The babies are keeping growing so well.

The pairing up.

1) It so easy to noticed when the big and little smaller than the big are going to interested in the spawn and u need to watch them when they laid eggs and ferited.
    When they are going to spawn, other discus come down to spawn site either of the pair will kick the other discus away from the spawn site. They are formed pair.

2) either one of them will fight eachothers for spawning site or some of reasons also two same sexes are fighting over the male or the female.
    But some time two males are willing and run for ferited when the female despoist eggs on the spawn site.

3) you will see two discus are Bowing eachothers, lips locking, slap tails, etc mean they are love eachothers as love bond.

4) when you will have 6 or 8 group of the same batch, the same batch are growing adults, you will have 3 or 4 pairs are the same batch. you will see two fish are together every where i mean one pair sit on the left corner of tank, the second pair sit on the middle of tank, thrid pair sit on up of tank the last pair sit on right side of tank. no switch the sexes for other pairs for long time together as 2 or 3 or 4 weeks, you will know they are love bonds. That is very rare to happend.

5) when you have 3 discus the same group of the same batch. you will notice two discus are going aganist one discus, it mean they are A pair.

6) Most commons everone have great guess about sexes for discus, they might get 80% correct.
    FYI most women are correct answers than men guesses.. But the experince discus keeper for long time a like me, Cary, Jeff, jack, others are knowegly about discus sexes are correct but we never get perfect answers at 100% all the time for 100 to 1000 discus which are sexes, but we can get 90% are correct answers.

7) Force pairs

When you want to try to breed them, You can pick out the males and the feamles in the breeding tanks. They will spawn for you but they will fight eachothers. We need give them time more and encourge them to learn to be love bond. it might be work or not.

When you want to pick out 2 males and 2 females in 40 gallon or bigger or 3 males and 3 female in 60 gallon or bigger or 4 males and 4 females in 80 gallon tank or bigger or 5 males and 5 females in 100 gallon tank or bigger. We need to give them spawn site as slate strips or pvc pipe or corner or etc in tanks. For example 2 pairs give them 2 or 3 spawn sites. Its called natural pairs.

I gave you my tips informations about pairing up are working so well but might be not, We need work on them, Rememeber be PATIENCE, They will spawn for you but not always at 100% all the time.

I know that they will pair up at 90% out of population discus.

We are so happy we can help you how can we figured out they will pair up. Also show us photo of the discus we can tell sexes.

The best as I can do.

Good luck

Duncan
    Last edited by Northwestcoastdisc; 03-16-2005 at 06:04 AM.

Thanks for more great info Duncan.

This is my cobalt. Any idea if male or female or is it too young to tell? This cobalt and my snakeskin slap tails and brush up against each other a lot. They are young (cobalt is four inches not including tail) and snakeskkin is slightly smaller.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oops, I uploaded the picture too small. Let me try again....

Here goes....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Hi Kristen,

you are always welcome.

I believe ur cobalt is a female. Also you need make more clear photos we can see and look at doral fins and tail too.

The small females can laid eggs but the males are not ready to ferited need more time to grow and mature to ready ferited.

hth

Duncan

Thanks AGAIN Duncan

I'll try to get some better pix of the cobalt and the snakeskin. The two do lots of tail slapping and don't let the other fish near them very often.

A couple of weeks ago they lip-locked so much both of their lips were red..... I wasn't sure if they were thinking of pairing up or if they were being aggressive towards each other. If they're like these as teenagers I may be in luck for the future.