AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 180 plywood/glass tank

Registered Member

Default Re: 180 plywood/glass tank

Nice looking tank! I like the curved corners on the window.

You know, this is funny, but i once wrote a quite detailed article for Simply about plywood tank construction. I wonder what happened to it. Any ideas, Al?

In response to the questions just asked, I'll say what I did for my 150 gal plywood tank:

What type of paint did you use on the inside?

I've had good success with a two-part epoxy paint from aquaticeco.com. It's expensive and requires extensive ventilation, but it's good stuff.

Did you silicone the joints?

I used silicone on only the glass seal. The joints on my tank were sealed with waterproof Liquid Nails, screws, and then once the joint set up I fiberglassed it with two layers of fiberglass strips. Watertight!

What type of filtration? If it is wet/dry you might need to drill holes.

Just like the tank pictured above, I worked a wet/dry into mine at one end. i used an overflow device to move the water so I wouldn't have to drill the plywood.

Hope that helps. If anyone wants a copy of the Word document I wrote the article as originally, drop me an email: sdtaylor@141.com.

scott

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirk50merc
    Yup think i'm goimg to do it overall tank cost $250 vs $587 for a store bought.

*Moon- thanks, do you think two thick beads of silicone .5"+ with an outer bead (glass to edge of wood) would do the trick? I think I will do 18" tall 24" wide 96" long to keep cost in check

I plan on making my light out of 2 flourex 65 w compact flourecents has anyone used these lights? they have great luminens per watt ratio burn way cooler than HIDs and would be easy to house in a small hood w/o a fan

Can anyone email some pictures of their DIY tanks?

Thanks for all the help, Dirk
    Here's a pic of my tank. Drop me a message if you want a Word doc on how I made it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wall_o_fish
    Nice looking tank! I like the curved corners on the window.

You know, this is funny, but i once wrote a quite detailed article for Simply about plywood tank construction. I wonder what happened to it. Any ideas, Al?

Did you silicone the joints?

I used silicone on only the glass seal. The joints on my tank were sealed with waterproof Liquid Nails, screws, and then once the joint set up I fiberglassed it with two layers of fiberglass strips. Watertight!

Hope that helps. If anyone wants a copy of the Word document I wrote the article as originally, drop me an email: sdtaylor@141.com.

scott
    I have built plywood tanks twice ... once (1st) a 240 gallon (96x24x24) and the second 120 gallon (48x24x24). Each time the seams along the bottom separated so water seaped out and eventually caused the wood to rot. I too used epoxy paint, screws to connect the plywood pieces, but regular wood glue (not liquid nails) to glue the seams. I even added some bracing on the bottom seam (2x2 wood stripping screwed into both sides of the seam), but it appears the water pressure was enough to cause a split in the epoxt paint at the bottom seam. Will fiberglass along the seam fix that?

Also, does anyone know how thick a piece of acrylic I need to support 240 gallons (24 inches in hieght)?

Thanks

I too used two part epoxy to seal the inside of the tank. I also siliconed all the joints. I am sure fibreglass will provide added strength to the joints. My tank also sprung a small leak from the glass wood interphase. This is because wood tends to flex under pressure. I applied a bead of silicone to the outside of the glass joint and cured the problem.The plywood used was exterior grade and waterproof glue. The tank has been in service for about 18 months with no problems.
    I do have a question. Is it safe to add a large Pleco to this tank? I have some concerns about the scratching ability of the Pleco and it's effect on the epoxy paint.

Registered Member

Talking Re: 180 plywood/glass tank

OK OK OK,

Moon- no holes, if you notice to the left of the tank,m 1' cabinet section, has a 2" relief (hidden see pictures to follow) this section is wide enough to accomidate 2 hot mag along with a large canister filter. Kind of unorthodox it's an easy way for to use two established filters from start up, and I had always planned on a big ehiem canister.

Scott thanks not done yet though. And no it's not actually that funny my kudos to you as I have based my tank on your article if it was a term paper I would site you and GARF as my sources but mostly yours ideas, including the fiber glassed joints, thats alot of messy work glad its done.

I have also used the same paint scott used from AES good stuff in addition I have clear to coat the out side and overcoat all the blue so the wood will be completely coated with Epoxy.

The other point scott made abudantly clear is the top bracing I have tied all but one into the tank in the same manner as the all the other joints, the last goes in after the glass 3/8" saftey glass

Scott curious to hear your thoughts on the top braces, think they will be sufficant each is 12" wide see pictures

Thanks for all the input,
    Dirk

Detail of relief[IMG]

Registered Member

Detail of cabinet[IMG]

Registered Member

Top detail[IMG]

Registered Member

top detail overveiw[IMG]

Registered Member

Dirk --

the braces look pretty sturdy to me. I think the main thing is that they're fixed and that they're frequent (not much free plywood between them. It looks like both are present in your tank. :-)

I found that earlier article. I couldn't find it at simplydiscus, but it was still at simply cichlids.

http://www.simplycichlids.com/forum/...y;threadid=236

Good luck ya'll.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk50merc
    top detail overveiw[IMG]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12