ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Do you have to keep driftwood with bristle nosed pleco's

Default Do you have to keep driftwood with bristle nosed pleco's

Hi,
    I'm thinking of taking out the driftwood from my main tank with brisle nosed pleco's in it, I heard that you have to keep driftwood with pleco's is this true?

Default Re: Do you have to keep driftwood with bristle nosed pleco's

Hi,
    I learned that through a website dedicated to catfish and plecos. The driftwood helps their digestive system.
    hth
    Ardan

Registered Member

I can't speak to the bristlenose plec, but my sailfin variety loves the driftwood. That is far and away the place I find him the most, chewing on the driftwood. Oh, btw, he is 12" long! Also w/ him are 3 cardinal tetras and 3 hi fin serpas and 2 goldfish which were used to get it all started, that is cycle the tank. At 10 cents each goldfish, I can't complain.

Most Ancistrus need drift wood to gnaw on. I understand the acid in the wood aids their digestion.

Registered Member

i have albino bristlenoses in all my barebottom discus tanks. no problems or unusual fatalities. i have about twenty of them together (growing them out before i pop them in the discus tanks) in a barebottom. they do seem to appreciate something to hide behind or under. not sure about digestion or driftwood, just reporting i have about 40 of them in bare bottom tanks and haven't noticed any problems.

Real Name
    Willie

All my tanks (15) have bristle nose plecos. None of them have any driftwood. No problems.

Willie

Hi,
    Thanks for responding, I think I will keep some driftwood in the tank to be on the safe side, but I'm going to buy a new piece which is smaller, does anyone know how to disinfect driftwood from a pet shop, the kind with slate on the bottom or is it safe to put into the tank right away?

Registered Member

You can use a mild bleach solution and wash the heck out of it, boil it for some time, or soak it in the tub w/ the hottest water availiable. I got mine from a local store and plunked it in the tank after about 2-3 hrs of being out of the water. I have not had any problems. This is probably not a good idea to do but all I had in at the time was some goldfish to cycle the tank and the 12" plec. I wasn't too worried about the goldfish. The plec was what I was mostly concerned about and he is doing fine months later!

Registered Member

here is a link to a page from the simplydiscus team all about treating driftwood..
    http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...reatment.shtml