AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: MY Start

Registered Member

Default MY Start

Hello everyone !!!

I have finally done it , i dont know how well but here it goes

Ih ave a 75 gal tank , heavilly planted i use flourite as subrate
    and have a pressurized Co2 that work for 12 hours pumping about 20 bubbles per minute

These are my water paraments as of today Wed.30 2005
    PH 8.3
    Gh 8
    KH 13
    No2 less than 0.3 mg/l
    No3 0
    Nh3 0

Now 2 the fish: i have a school of about 20 neon tetras 2 plecos 6 phantom tetras that im gettin rid off and well as two 2 inch blue turquoise dicuss.

My question my fish are really shy they always houng out in the back somewhere and are not that keen on eating i saw the m nibble on some blodo worms but they dont eat it like all my other fish! and i wont sit around for the for later couse my others get 2 it.

I would like imput weather im doing somethign irgh or wrong, i really dont want to mess anythign up thanks

greg

ps. im dislecsic so if i spelled anythign wrong or switched letters around i have an excuse

Default Re: MY Start

what is ur temp

Registered Member

ahh i new i forgot somethign temp is aobut 29 degress C going into 30 been slowly raising it so it hits 32 degrees

Registered Member

on top of that was wondering if that kind of behaviour was normal ? im really nervous

GREG

Discus are schooling fish and usually do better in schools of 6 or more. How long have you had your discus? With only two discus, it may take several weeks for them to start to feel secure in the tank.

Also, did you buy them from a breeder or a pet store? If you bought them from a breeder and they are used to bare bottom tanks, your planted tank may be very scary for them at first.

Terry

have u tried adding salt? 2 table spoons per 10 gal it will help releave some stress(non iodize salt) the only thing i have ever keept with my discus was a couple clown loaches and my discus did not like them to much to much movement i guess
    good luck

ps how often do u change ur water???
    Last edited by funkyfish; 03-31-2005 at 10:57 AM.

for a planted tank..to be honest with you..full grown fish are better. especially if only two. young fish do best in a bare bottom tank with at least 6. wcs daily..at least 25 percent..and vacuuming the bottom daily.
    trouble is..if you did get them from a lfs..best not to add more to the existing ones..or you could get a virus .
    yes get your temperature up . that would help. try some bloodworms.
    dont worry about your spelling..easy enough to decipher . only a few words were backwards. : )
    well..discus are wonderful fish..and as you can see ..theres whole forums about them..as theres lots of obsessed people in love with them. theres no turning back. if ,money and space allows..i would have your beautiful planted tank..and then have a bare bottom tank with a group of 6 or 8 and then you would really get a chance to learn their behaviour and get them growing well.

Registered Member

thank everyone, i do 30% changes daily and they finally eate, i bough the 2 babies from my freind who is a manager at a local fish store and i personally know the high quality of his store. He does 30 5 water changes a day in al lthe tanks (mind you its all electronical) they jusrt started 2 eat but still hang in the back a lot so i just feed them there, ether this or next week im gonna buy 4 more its jsut money is really tough i jsut had 2 buy 3 book for university $550 so really low on cash

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and University Discus_KC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jack

Whatever your choice you know you will have help just a click away !!!!!!! Give them lots of TLC and let's see them grow !!!!!

Jack
    (816) 517-4529

Registered Member

im sry i dont quite know what TLC is????

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and University Discus_KC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jack

Tender loving care. In essence baby them!!

Jack
    (816) 517-4529

Registered Member

Ahh thanks , i dont know if this should be done but today to incourage eating i stuck my hand in the tank and kinda brough them towards the fish at first they were scared but then they started 2 eat out of my hand i dont know if i should ever do that ???

sure..if you can get them to eat out of your hand..thats great. they must be doing ok then..just shy from the change. sounds like you have a good lfs there. local fish store. keep us up to date on how their doing.

Registered Member

Thanks all, other than the prices i have a great LFS lol, im happy that they are now comming out more. Relating to my tank i want to replace my DIY overflow sump filter with a caniister filter and than change the 10 G sump tank into a quaranteen tank. What is a good reliable faily cheap canister filter ?