AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I finally FIGURED IT ALL OUT!!

Registered Member

Default Re: I think I finally FIGURED IT ALL OUT!!

I just had to chip in on this topic.Im planted tank all the way.Heard so many opinions against planted tanks ,but I love my dicus in it and they seem to be Happy too.Having just little isue with those beard algese.They coverd my wood in last couple of months.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow. That looks good, Lado. I agree with Adrian, too. It's about balance. Perhaps there is something in the tank that is missing which causes you to have beard algae. You might want to look into what it is and what causes it. I so far had my tank running with plants for about over 5 days (hence, 260 watt lighting on over 8 hours each day!). I have no algae at all. Maybe it's because I don't have a lot of plants? I don't know for sure but my set up seems to work for both me and the fish.

Thanks Karen!! Your set up is nice too. I did get to see your barebottom tank in the photo-gallery. It was a matter of time for me to decide which setting I like best and how easy will it be for me to maintain.

*A*

Registered Member

If you can run a BB tank then a planted tnak is easy. I do W/C twice a week of 50%(55 gallon) with a lite syphon at each W/C. Add my ferts and the tanks off and running. What I like about Planted tanks is ou never have to worry about nitrate or ammonia spikes. Even if it spikes the spike is gone within 10 mins. I could run my tank without a filter if I really wanted to.

Nice tank, Tip. I heard that too, that a fully planted tank does not need additional aeration since the plants (healthy that is) absorbs all the co2 (respiration) from the fish and in return releases oxygen for the fish to breathe.

And that it's not necessary to have a co2 system as well because the fish excretes co2.

I must admit that there were times where I forgot to plug back the extension plugs which has both filters hooked to it and it would be days later I find out about it and the fish would all be up at surface but at nights would sleep well on the barebottom tank. This was all before I installed stones and plants. I only had my heaters connected and the airpump on.

*A*

They're enjoying their new stone gravel. *.*

they certainly do not look unhappy to me but if they are I can't tell.

Here is a last shoot for now. I've just taken these photos ten minutes ago. This is the latest update for my tank for now. I intend to look for more nice plants that is suitable.

One thing I'd like to add is a pond plant. It is said that discus enjoy shades at times and since the pond plant has extensive lilypads this will certainly shade them. Any advice on using one pond (daylily) plant in this scenario is appreciated. Thanks!

*Angie*

Registered Member

Spice, look into a tiger lotus, easy plant to keep, undemanding, starts with some nice large submerged leaves, then will send floating leaves to the surface. They're a bulb plant, and in general most bulb plants are very hardy. Another you may want to consider is the Aponogetons, another bulb plant, large green leaves, and will send floating leaves to the surface as well as flower very easily. (generally)

Registered Member SantaFeDiscus's Avatar

Very nice looking tank Angie! I love how illuminated the fish are. They almost glow. Keep up the good work.
    Fred

Talking Re: I think I finally FIGURED IT ALL OUT!!

Nice start Angie, but it’s hard to stop , this two tanks are in rebuilding mode, but maybe give you some ideas with some basic LFS plants (just don’t forget to quarantine plants same way you do fish.) this is my two 70Gl tanks and you can see how shape changes options.
    Last edited by Ax; 04-29-2005 at 10:39 AM.
    Destiny is a matter of choice.

second
    Last edited by Ax; 04-29-2005 at 10:38 AM.

Smile Re: I think I finally FIGURED IT ALL OUT!!

Thanks Ax, your tank is lovely too! The first one is wild. I love the look of aquatic jungle. Do you prune often? What is your lighting system like? The second tank seems like a tall tank. What is the lighting system for that one?

Thanks Fred! It was a tough decision but I finally made the conclusion to have a planted tank. Soon I will add in the driftwoods and more plants (and hopefully some wilds too!)

*A*

Hi Angie, the “jungle” has 4 - T12s at 40w each for 70GL, that’s plenty as you can see. Two lights are 6700K – true sunlight, and two are 2700K (phosphate) plant grow lights.

Trimmed every two weeks, (it’s about time).

Second is X-Tall, just trimmed down, I have seen this kind of tank with Tiger Lotus and it was something...., so I am waiting for the last two weeks for my order of two (than other 6 weeks of quarantine), at that time Amazon sward and Java Fern will go in to the 36GL.

Lighting only 4 – 20w T5s same spectrums as above. It is not for mid to High light plants (would need two 55watt power compacts), but good for the combination that I have of low to Mid. Thanks for the comments.
    Last edited by Ax; 04-29-2005 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ax
    Hi Angie, the “jungle” has 4 - T12s at 40w each for 70GL, that’s plenty as you can see. Two lights are 6700K – true sunlight, and two are 2700K (phosphate) plant grow lights.

Trimmed every two weeks, (it’s about time).

Hold up... you only have about 160 total watt on the 70 gallon tank? And you have to prune your plants every two weeks? That's pretty neat. However, I would think you need more lighting (3 watts per gallon as a rule of thumb). I gather you have plants that requires a lot less lighting. Most fish shops don't bother telling the buyer if a plant is high lighting or low lighting maintenance. So I gather you get your plants from online caterers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ax
    Second is X-Tall, just trimmed down, I have seen this kind of tank with Tiger Lotus and it was something...., so I am waiting for the last two weeks for my order of two (than other 6 weeks of quarantine), at that time Amazon sward and Java Fern will go in to the 36GL.

Lighting only 4 – 20w T5s same spectrums as above. It is not for mid to High light plants (would need two 55watt power compacts), but good for the combination that I have of low to Mid. Thanks for the comments.
    Not bad. I like those Amazon swords. They do tend to get lengthy.

Let me ask you, do you use a CO2 system?

*Angie*

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast