AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you were to breed other than discus...what would you work with?

Default If you were to breed other than discus...what would you work with?

Hi all,
    Since I have a few tanks open and have been playing around with some other fish species I was wondering what you all would breed if you had the chance or are breeding besides discus? Theres so many cool fish out there, I am sure a bunch of you have cheated on your Discus... I admit it... I have.

so fess up everyone, lets hear whose working with what, who knows you might find a taker for those non-discus fishes!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Banned

Wink Re: If you were to breed other than discus...what would you work with?

I've bred many species of fish from livebearers, to bettas, to cichlids of many species, but my favorites other than discus were always apistogrammas and other dwarf cichlids, both from South America and West Africa. If I were to ever get rid of discus, perhaps I would give Killies a shot. I would also consider several catfish species.

Registered Member

Default Re: If you were to breed other than discus...what would you work with?

I had a load of fun with the shell dwellers from Lake Taganyika. They are attractive, fiesty and incredibly cool to watch. Plus you can raise them in small tanks and/or raise a ton of them in a large tank.

I think that some of the mbunas are also a blast. Raising breeding colonies of a ton of fish makes for a challenge and an easy way to sell off excess fish to offset costs.

For a gorgeous, large, interesting fish, there are always nicaraguan cichlids - not common and they would be awesome if fed discus quality foods.

Really, there are tons of cool cichlids that would be a blast to breed.

John

I have found the DD Black Angels tough to raise. I can never get enough for the Pet stores and they have always helped pay for the Discus. Since you also have some ties to exporters of wild fish a nice colony of L-46 Zebra Plecos would be nice to have. If you get them to spawn they too would help pay for your Discus and anything the wife would want for her house.
    George
    George

I asked myself that very question recently. In the past I've bred livebearers and dwarf cichlids like many of us have. With livebearers I thought they might be a good source of live food for my other fish but it never quite worked out that way. I'd like to try either Egyptian Mouthbreeders or some of the African Rift Lake Cichlids.
    Last edited by kaceyo; 05-03-2005 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Add to it

Apistogrammas.....my German Blue Ram pair spawn on a regular basis. They are in a community tank so they eat their eggs. I want to focus on my discus so I just let them be.

But they are so fun to watch. They have such personality, especially when they are spawning. I swear my female is a nagging wife and the male is just a big slacker. When he watches the eggs he gets distracted and wanders away...that is, when he's not sneaking a snack of eggs here and there. As soon as the female notices this, she zooms over there, beats on him a little bit and then takes care of the eggs herself for a while. With those two and my newly formed discus pair just started spawning last week, who needs television?!?!

Kristen

i have a colony of yellow labs.they are realy fun fish to watch and i'm working on some orange crowned panda kio blusher angels.

I would have to say Apistogrammas and other dwarf chiclids, Angelfish. I would also like to try and get cardinals to breed again. It was really cool watching them scatter the eggs all over the java moss. Right now I am growing out my discus and hope to get them to breed. Don't have much room for anything else at this time.

Doug

Registered Member

I have never tried it and do not know how difficult it would be, but I always thought that breeding Plecos would be fun. I think they look great when they get big.

Registered Member

Albino Bristlenoses plecos!!!

Registered Member

Well I have considered dabbling with some other cichlids ....I would love to be able to breed my Altums..and might even consider breeding some domestic angels like the pearl scales, koi and blacks

Tad

zebra plec0s only i would start a farm...

oh and for the fun of it african dwarf frogs cuz they easy to get humping

guppies, nice to results of crossings in months, not years.

Registered Member

DALLAS COWBOY CHEERLEADERS !!!!!!!! Oh ya are talking about fish...LOL
    Well I got discus and bushynose plecos to breed..I think it would be Arowanas..I have a few of them,don't know a thing about breeding them,but I think I will do a little research on them.
    Mench

Well, did the many different livebearers years ago when my kids were kids, but now think I'd like to try the DD angels (didn't want to hear that George, lol) & yellow electric cichlids. Have 3 yellows now, they do mostly hide but are healthy & vigorous. Those shelldwellers sound like fun, may try them someday too!!! The one saltwater fish I'd love to try is the maroon clown, neat fish, would be fun to attempt that one too.... Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast