ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you were to breed other than discus...what would you work with?

Smile Re: If you were to breed other than discus...what would you work with?

Menchy, LOL... Yes fish we're discussing. DCC. LOL

Dottie, me too, I like those maroon clownfish too. They are mighty little fish with spines!! I had no clue until I put my finger in their tank. uch:

Congrats again Kristen, new fish mommie.

I would love to breed those koi angels I have. They really are nice looking. Also the pearl/golden angel. Looking for a few of them; I have one, but it is really coloring up very nicely. In all, koi angels and maroon clownfish.

*Angie*

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Default Re: If you were to breed other than discus...what would you work with?

dogs

Registered Member

Talking Re: If you were to breed other than discus...what would you work with?

I would like to try Altum's, some of the rarier killies, and maybe some of the small saltwater angelfish. I have breed almost all other common fish species, and a few not so common. I like a challenge ! Since my wife and I have just bought a small farm last year we have bred some exotic chickens - just had some hatch out last week - keeps me busy !

scotz

Dottie you may want to start reading the Clown Fish Forum over at Reef Central. I have a friend here in Phoenix that raises them and sells them wholesale only. He keeps the local pet stores stocked with the little guy's. He makes it sound easy and thinks Discus are hard to breed.
    George

Clownfish Forum
    George

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

1) Corydoras (any ... but particularly Sterbai & Adolphi as they do well in Discus conditions) ... they help manage the tank!
    2) Ancistrus (reg or albino) ... great maintenance workers!
    3) Apistagrammus ... Agasizzi, Caucatodes, Borelli
    4) Rams ... easy and live with discus
    5) Bettas ... nice, can live with discus (I hang multiple cups for males in each tank) and they can bring in $$$ (check out aquabid)
    6) Gouramis ... dwarfs, honey, pearls
    7) Chocolate Gouramis ... a challenge, but do well in extremely soft acid water
    8) Licorice Gouramis ... ditto

I was able to breed most of the African and Central American chiclids in my years of fish keeping. I think the challenge is in breeding cat fishes. I did have a colony of Synodontis Angelicus for a few years in a 125 and tried all kinds of tricks to get them to breed with no luck. I was told that they had been bred with hormone injections.
    Presently I am working with Synodontis Petricola and Multipunctatus with some degree of success. I would like to breed Synodontis Granulosis. Then I can retire and be a full time hobbiest.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

currently we also breed:
    Angels
    show quality bettas (half moons, crowns, and of course deltas)
    killifish (mainly nothos but other types to)
    I striped a electric yellow last night. 6 fry.
    A few rams on occasion.

Brew if it was me I would move either to show bettas of killifish they are cool. If you want some nothos I have some for you. just pay the shipping.

-john
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

something about fish that are not legal in some states ...lol
    http://www.glofish.com/
    check them out...lol
    Last edited by dishpanhands; 05-04-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Registered Member

I have had fun with many!

But still love Thoses Kribs!

Registered Member

Exclamation Re: If you were to breed other than discus...what would you work with?

Definitely asian arowanas. Difficult, but very rewarding (financially) if it happened!

Registered Member

O and Rams To they are fun
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

I don't know how many fish species I've breed over the year, probably in excess of 300-400. I've kept most of the rift lake species at one time or another, moved on to Central and South American cichlids, Now I'm playing with Apistos and Dwarf west African cichlids, They all seem pretty easy to breed. I have always kept a lot of wild type livebearers, I find rare or endangered fish a challege and rewarding when you have some fry to pass around. As far as money fish go. Angels, you can not raise enough of them and now that prices are up, they are worth while. My goal as a breeder: Heckels and Altum Angels. Ken

For me it has to be wild altum angels. That's something i dream of doing.

Arowanas. But that would require some big big ponds or tanks.

Clown loaches. When they get big they are awesome. (14inch or bigger).

Rays would be fun too. But another big tank requirement.

Thought about getting it show bettas, fronts, and kois.

Henry

Since the only other fish we have are angels, I guess it would be those. Either that, or our birds.

Judi
    There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean.
    But what's more important is the time that is known, as that little dash there in between.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast