ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: !!My First Pair!!

Registered Member

Default Re: !!My First Pair!!

3/4 off the eggs are already fungused should i use methylene blue like i asked in my last post. i dont get it they get 5 wigglers in a planted tank and then on the first day in the 29 they are mostly fungused

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I've never used meth blue. Fungus only grows on dead eggs. Do you have more current in this tank?

Registered Member

no less actually.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Maybe the male was distracted - see how the next batch goes . . .

Registered Member

im hopin'.

Registered Member

about three days ago my pair laid another batch of eggs this is there fifth time. i now have wigglers. i am watching and the one i think is the female will catch falling wigglers and spit them back on the heater she i think will do this many times but they wont stick to the heater. i know she has to be frustrated shell put the wiggler in her mouth but not spit it out i think she eats them. how long will they keep a wiggler in their mouth any tips

Registered Member

Jamie,

They will continue to put them back on the cone until they finish eating the yolk sack - about 72 hours after hatching.

Look at Carols post on breeding time line. The day they start free swimming is the day they are considered "born".

I would drain some of the water at this time to help the wrigglers find the parents once they do start free swimming.

Generally with my fry, they will swim to the top and corners of the tank and if they don't find the parents they will die. By draining some of the water it will make the parents easier to fine.

In an earlier post you asked about meth blue, I have used it with a pair that would have fungused eggs. I used it to make sure I had a good pair -- I had a few wrigglers out of that batch that were eaten.

I have had this pair laying eggs since January/feb every week like clock work and they just raised their first batch of fry -- they just hit a week.

Its frustrating, but very rewarding. You'll be amazed how quickly they will grow.

Remember, at about day 7 to start feeding baby brine shrimp. I also supplement with Hikari First Bites.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123